Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to the scene

Today I made the ~50 mile trip from dayton ohio to cincinati ohio to visit the valentine1 warehouse and left with a new radar detector. I'm fairly new to the scene as i've only had one other radar detector and it was some cheapie that i threw out years ago as it wouldnt pick up anything useful.

For the hour drive home I had the radar hooked up and about every 30 seconds to a minute an alarm would go off for either the K or Ka bands. They scanned pretty much every direction at some point or another. That was in the "A" and the "L" settings (half of drive in each). Unfortunately I didnt see a single cop so I'm pretty disappointed as I didnt get to see how well it does. All I saw was false alarms i guess?

Spent the rest of the afternoon hard wiring it up just left of the rear view mirror. I might tweak the position a little bit more as I get used to it more. How it is now it is hidden behind the light blue windshield shade. I'm not sure how much it will effect the reception but I do like how it is more hidden from view.

-Chris

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: New to the scene

Welcome to the forum and good choice on getting the V1. Now you just need time to get familiar with it and read some of the sticky here.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalsst View Post

For the hour drive home I had the radar hooked up and about every 30 seconds to a minute an alarm would go off for either the K or Ka bands. They scanned pretty much every direction at some point or another. That was in the "A" and the "L" settings (half of drive in each). Unfortunately I didnt see a single cop so I'm pretty disappointed as I didnt get to see how well it does. All I saw was false alarms i guess?

-Chris
    Their traffic flow sensors that give a full k band alert every couple of miles or so on the interstate. They are being installed around cities all over the state of Ohio. Their are many threads about this here on the forums.

Radar Fanatic

If you travel 70/75 you'll see solar and white tube mounted on road signs and sometime on a 4x4 wood pole.

They broadcast on K-band for a couple of seconds. Muting K-band will allow you to see the arrows at the preferred muted volume. Works really well as information is not supressed.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by adzam View Post

-Chris
    Their traffic flow sensors that give a full k band alert every couple of miles or so on the interstate. They are being installed around cities all over the state of Ohio. Their are many threads about this here on the forums.
    Yup. They've really started to blow up around the area, and it is very annoying. It seems like everytime that I travel through Ohio, there are more and more of these things.

@ noc, there's a sticky on K band muting for the Valentine. Have a look at that, and try it out. It will quiet your radar detector down a whole lot.

I'm going to search for it and give it a try because right now every time I hear a K alarm I just assume its false anyway. But what are the chances that an officer is using a K radar?

Banned

I think cops still use K band? I got a C/O K band alert from an LEO the other day??

snoopyc4

But what are the chances that an officer is using a K radar?
    Depends on where you are from.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    But what are the chances that an officer is using a K radar?
    Depends on where you are from.
    Yeah. K band is used more than Ka band in my town. Theres a "bands by town" thread that you can have a look at.

Speed Demon

I drive I-70 between zanesville ohio and wheeling wv a lot, no traffic drones there.

I have seen maybe two Ka guns and a boat load of K band guns around here, and of course 2 x band guns

Chances of K band being a cop when your driving in a non commercial area, is high unless there is drones.