Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Bogey Alerts on Ka Band

I have recently noticed as a new v1 user that my bogey counter does a lot of jumping around on Ka band... I did expect that around cvs, etc with multiple door/alarm sensors (seeing bogeys increase in pairs from 2-4-6 on k).. but I have begun to notice that the bogey counter has been jumping from 1 -2 - 1 -2 -1 when getting weak Ka signals ... is this common?

Banned

Default Re: Bogey Alerts on Ka Band

Yes, its called ghosting. Not a big deal but can happen.

What version do you have?

Newcomer

Do you mean K band? I've never heard of grocery stores using Ka band, but I could be mistaken.

But like CJ said, it's called ghosting and isn't a big deal unless you are trying to decipher it from known alerts in the area. But if I see any form of Ka, ghosting or not, I slow down.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Do you mean K band? I've never heard of grocery stores using Ka band, but I could be mistaken.

But like CJ said, it's called ghosting and isn't a big deal unless you are trying to decipher it from known alerts in the area. But if I see any form of Ka, ghosting or not, I slow down.
    I have received a few Ka signals from door openers and what not, but I think they are actually strong K band signals. I've sat at a stop light in front of Walgreens on a few occasions, and the signal sometimes jumps from a K band signal to a Ka signal periodically. I've noticed this with a few radar detectors that I have used.

Newcomer

3.872 (still in the trial)... After it goes away (Ka alarm) I don't see any LEOs.. alarm just goes away.. just want to make sure it is not a defective unit.. I was referring to k/x alarms for cvs,,, just not used to seeing this on a ka band... If it is ghosting... what causes it? Can it happen as a total false (and jump on the counter 1-2-1-2...etc)?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lrcdds View Post
    3.872 (still in the trial)... After it goes away (Ka alarm) I don't see any LEOs.. alarm just goes away.. just want to make sure it is not a defective unit.. I was referring to k/x alarms for cvs,,, just not used to seeing this on a ka band... If it is ghosting... what causes it? Can it happen as a total false (and jump on the counter 1-2-1-2...etc)?

There are a lot of reasons you can get unexplained falses or ghosting on any band including KA.

Some cars emit KA falses and K. These alerts sometimes spike then go away, some stay consistent and weak.
    Now ghosting is a symptom of reflections or signals being strong and causing an over flow into another frequency. Newer units like the 3.872 (you and I have) are suppose to ghost less than older models.

Keep trying, and pay close attention when its a real threat, if your worried send it in. But its just the nature of the beast.

Professional

I will get Ka ghosting every once in a while with my 3.813. It can happen with any band, but a lot of it depends on the area. The waves will bounce off anything metallic, so you can often times be receiving the same signal from the same source 6 ways from Sunday... it just all depends. I would rather have one signal source ghosted than be caught by surprise with two cops shooting....

Newcomer

I really don't mind the ghosting ... except for the fact that I seem to get a lot of phantom Ka 2-1-2-none (all weak signals) and then no LEO at all... That's what made me think something was wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lrcdds View Post
    I really don't mind the ghosting ... except for the fact that I seem to get a lot of phantom Ka 2-1-2-none (all weak signals) and then no LEO at all... That's what made me think something was wrong.
    Keep watching it. It could just be a leaky Cobra RD or a high end car with lain assist.

Power User

I can make my V1 3.872 really ghost out with other leaky rd's in the car. Also cause J alerts