Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New V1 Owner in SoCal - Having Doubts...

Hello RD.net,

After much debate and research, I decided to pull the trigger on a V1 a couple weeks ago. This is my first RD and my first experience with one as well.

I went with a refurbished unit from VR themselves to save a little cash - I was told it was a unit returned within the 30-day policy and was most likely used for a road trip then returned (I wouldn't even have known it was refurbished unless I was told - it is flawless physically).

Anyway, I've been lurking this forum and gathering info on install, placement, and programming for my area.
    I have hardwired the V1 and reprogrammed it according to suggestions I've found on this site.
    I live in Southern California and travel throughout the Orange County area almost daily.

My settings are the following:
    X-Band Off
    K-Band 30-Sec Automute + Automute rear K
    POP Off
    The rest default

I typically leave it on "little L" so the automuting is functional and I've been putting it on A during freeway drives.

My placement is almost exactly as seen in this pic: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...dat/picus4.jpg

Now here is my concern:
    The V1 has not picked up anything other than store automatic-door openers - all on K-band.
    I have yet to see another band light come on. I have passed quite a few LEO's since having the V1 and not once has it made a sound or light up around them.
    I fully understand that this is a radar detector - not a cop detector - but I am having doubts on things. Shouldn't I have come across at least one Ka by now?

I'm not sure if my placement is bad, or perhaps I received a faulty unit since it was refurbished, or just bad 'luck' with the LEO's I've passed, or maybe the V1 is just bad for my area (specifically Huntington Beach).

Any comments or advice would be great.
    Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: New V1 Owner in SoCal - Having Doubts...

As you said, just because you see a leo doesn't mean they're running any kind of radar equipment. In my town, for example, I'm lucky to get a couple of encounters per week on many occasions. Run it for a few more weeks, and see what happens. Eventually, you should get some encounters.

Radar Fanatic

If after a few more weeks and no more encounters,you may want to send it in to V1 for a tune up.
    what model is it??

Radar Fanatic

Welcome to the forum you made a good choice now you just need to learn it so give it some time.

@Hunter: When I was programming it, it flashed 3.872 which I believe is the latest software (?).
    I'm not too familiar with the hardware versions, but I would assume it is also the latest.

Thanks for the comments unmamfqlm and spartcus. I will give it more time and see what happens.

I also failed to mention that the car I've been running it in does have lightly tinted windows, including the windshield.
    I was under the impression this might shorten the range, but could this also filter out certain bands (Ka) completely?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by spamhead View Post
    @Hunter: When I was programming it, it flashed 3.872 which I believe is the latest software (?).
    I'm not too familiar with the hardware versions, but I would assume it is also the latest.

Thanks for the comments unmamfqlm and spartcus. I will give it more time and see what happens.

I also failed to mention that the car I've been running it in does have lightly tinted windows, including the windshield.
    I was under the impression this might shorten the range, but could this also filter out certain bands (Ka) completely?
    Tint should not have anything to do with *filtering* RADAR, it will mess with LIDAR though, but if you have a metallic tint that will screw with RADAR.

I may be incorrect on non metallic tint not effecting RADAR much, if at all so maybe someone else can chime in.

It took me over a month to get a laser alert, and several weeks for me to finally get a Ka hit. If you want the thing to start chatting more to test it, turn pop on, X on, and ka guard off. It should be going off so much you want to toss it in the river.

To test Ka in general, turn POP on for a week, and wait for a cobra to pass you who is leaking Ka. This is for testing reasons obviously.

Your software is 3.872
    Your hardware is 1.8 both are the newest

All refurbished models have the latest stuff, and come with normal warranty.

Thanks for the info bombebomb.

Guess I just have to wait it out. I kind of figured with all the LEO's I've passed, at least one of em had to have something on - apparently not though.

Radar Fanatic

Nice about the V1 it's customizeable with no sacrifices with soften reception.

Big "L" and K-band muting will be nothing until 5 dots signal strength or 30 seconds if you plan on picking up X or K. It basically shuts them off until the 30s has expired, instant on or not.

Do you really need to K-band mute? Automatic doors or speed signs? How many bogeys?

I might suggest turning auto mute off and use little "l" mode ith muted volume to just audible.

Do you kno if Ka is used in your area?
    Last edited by NormSky; 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Hey bro. spamhead check to see if K or X bands are use in your area.
    http://www.patzcatz.com/radarbands.html

NormSky, I've been using the K-Band 30-sec muting on "little l" for the most part around town. The only thing I ever pick up are automatic doors on K-band.
    Typically I'm picking up 1-3 false K-band alerts coming from store doors.

For example, I was picking up family at the airport today... http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4853/img0936w.jpg

Since I had family in the car, I put the V1 on big L and it quieted down significantly, but I felt like whats the point of having it if its not alerting me much at all, then again all I've ever picked up so far have been falses so I'm torn.

I also passed a couple LEO's on the way... It remained dead silent.

spartcus, I checked the list. Unfortunately my city (Huntington Beach, Ca) is not on that list.
    However surrounding cites show Ka and Laser for the most part, but there were a few cities that I travel in using K so I don't want to turn K off completely. X is not used at all around me according to that list.

A quick question, am I wrong in thinking that the V1 should occasionally be picking up LEO's that are just driving around not actively engaging anything?

Thanks for all the responses so far.