Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Update my existing V1 or new one?

I am going to send in my V1 that I've had for the past 11 years. I sent it in about 1.5 years ago to have it serviced because it was just going off randomly all the time.

Anyways, when I send in my unit do they give me an entire new unit or update the existing one that I send in?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Update my existing V1 or new one?

Whatever you want them to do, I had a 3.619 and I told them to update to the latest and greatest 3.872. Look on coughing about $150.00 plus for that those which is what I did a tune up is about $45.00 dollars. What kind of hardware you have and what version is it?

Radar Fanatic

If you are running a radar (hardware) 1.7, the upgrade will cost you about $229 but you will get a totally new V1. You will get more laser sensitivity, and better reception on 35.5 Ka. IME, K band is also slightly better on the 1.8.

If you are the originial owner, repairing your old V1 may be N/C. I have never paid for a V1 repair ever, even out of warranty. If you are not the original owner, the basic repair charge is $45.

I would consider updating. As spotty as 35.5 detection is on the 1.8s, it is much worse on the 1.7. If 35.5 is not used in your area, then that is not a major consideration.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Here's what the upgrade section said when I put my serial number it in their site.

V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.8. This is our latest and best performer on both radar and laser with just one exception—it lacks POP Protection. Of interest to those who drive in Europe and some other countries outside the U.S., the latest V1 version also has Euro Mode.

Upgrade Recommendation: You have a sophisticated security system, and we’re cautious about recommending an Upgrade. If you believe in keeping up with technology, particularly if the POP Mode is being used in your area, then go ahead. V1’s approach to the POP problem is superior to all others in the industry. If you drive abroad, you will appreciate our new Euro Mode which improves protection on photo radar as it is used in some countries outside the U.S.

Radar Fanatic

Since you have the latest and greatest...just use it for now.You don't need pop.
    Save your money.

Good Citizen

That's good but my reasoning for getting the POP is so I can gain back K Band which I have disabled now for the Audi Side Assist false alarms.

Since you have a 1.8 V1 and the Audi side assist is currently setting off your V1 on K band then the latest and greatest, ver. 3.872, will also be set off by it, no difference.

BC

Good Citizen

The way i understood it from Mike himself, he told me that both the POP and K Band work together but since the Audi side assist uses the frequency only within the POP, I could get the update and then just disable
    It and that would give me back my K Band except POP though.

I well may be in error. My thought process was if the signal was K band and setting your current 1.8 V1 off then the update to 3.872 would do the same… alert. If Mike was of a mind to say this would work, well I’m not that tech oriented, just seemed to make sense.

BC

Good Citizen

This false alarm has had me baffled for the last year and a half since I bought the car. People with the same car or features said that all they did was turn POP off, well I didn't and have not ever had that feature but it was giving me the false alarms.

I have for the past 1.5 years had K band turned off and I've not had any of those false alarms from my Audi side assist. I called Valentine One with Mike answering the phone the other day. I asked him about how POP and the K band work together he said I could do the upgrade and it would give me back K Band.

So apparently the K Band covers a broader frequency and the POP feature covers a certain frequency within there and that's also where the Audi Side Assist is also giving the false alerts. If someone can enlighten us/me on this with more specifics i'd love to hear it.