Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOASTED :(

Speed Demon

Default TOASTED :(

Well, as some know I'd been without a V1 since mine got confiscated in Canada last Fall. I finally bit the bullet and sprang for a new one, which arrived yesterday morning. I made a 500 mile trip with it in the evening. The new 3.826 seems to work beautifully, as I received alerts on each band only where expected. The laser falses from GM brakelights are still present, but seemed a bit reduced. I received one alert that J'ed out as I passed a rest area with no LEOs, but plenty of travelers. Perfect so far I did not receive any POPs, but don't believe it to be in use over most of my trek (mostly NY). The detector was mounted high on the windshield, and I used my bone-stock remote display for about the second half of the trip, including the incident below.

I was following about 1/4 mile (roughly 10 seconds) behind a "rabbit" on a road with some curves and elevation changes (I-81 north of Syracuse, near Adams). It was well after dark. I had changed options 5 and H to add increased responsiveness for Ka and to turn on Ku, respectively. Otherwise, the V1 was as stock. I was running it in "L" mode since my understanding from the manual is that only X is partly filtered in this mode (leaving K and Ka untouched). I got blasted with Ka instant-on from about 300 feet as I rounded a corner. Ka had not even peeped in advance I noticed that even with my increased Ka reporting (option 5), that the maximum signal strength was still one LED short of max (a low-powered gun?). The gun in use turned out to be a Stalker Dual.

At this point I have to assume that my "rabbit" merely woke the LEO up but didn't give him enough time to shoot. That's the explanation I hope for since I got NO warning, just utterly toasted. But, I wonder if any of the above settings might have made a difference (Advanced Logic "L", Increased Ka reporting "5" or Ku band on "H"). Any thoughts?

BTW, the Ku band does seem to work as I received 3 apparent Ku falses during the jaunt. Interestingly, all 3 falses were in relatively remote areas where I had no idea of the source. Anyone know what operates on that band?

Did ya get the ticket written or warned or what? What was the speed?

Lesson learned. If a button clicks a unit to instant on - it is just like laser shooting you for 1/3 of a second acquisition.
    The detectors are no cop car detectors. They are signal readers.

Do the instant ons transmit constantly and then whack you with strong signal or what? I would like to see the states of various speed enforcement devices posted a sa sticky, with what they transmit at each stage in this game of cat and mouse.

I am waiting for directional EMP system to fry the LEO's car with.
    THAT would be sweet. Perhaps a little harsh? ;-)
    "Mister Anderson...." <if only Neo were here>

Lead Foot

Default Re: TOASTED :(

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    BTW, the Ku band does seem to work as I received 3 apparent Ku falses during the jaunt. Interestingly, all 3 falses were in relatively remote areas where I had no idea of the source. Anyone know what operates on that band?
    It must be the COWS? I have had the same experience on Ku falsing......nothing to be seen except COWS. If it was PIGS I would understand! But COWS?

bogey

Speed Demon

Yeah, that's it, COWS Possibly the flying type (aka satellites).

So, no one knows if my settings might have hurt my Ka reception in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmichael112002
    Do the instant ons transmit constantly and then whack you with strong signal or what? I would like to see the states of various speed enforcement devices posted a sa sticky, with what they transmit at each stage in this game of cat and mouse.
    I understand that they're "powered" but not "transmitting" until manually triggered. My guess is that there is still some measureable emission from them when lying in wait, but probably low-level non-radar band, and not currently detectable to my knowledge.

The speed was reasonable for the conditions, with the exception of the unpleasant speed trap surprise.

EMP

I think my best solution would be thermal IR of some sort. The main problem is cost... Hmmm, I wonder what the range is on my infrared tire pyrometer...

Speed Demon

***IMPORTANT***

As a follow-up, I just spoke with Joe at VR. It turns out that Advanced Logic (big "L") mode DOES do some extra Ka filtering! I really didn't get that from the manual or from my few years experience with my older V1. I'll be switching to regular Logic (small "l") mode now, at least for highway driving with corners and/or hills.

So, that *might* be why I didn't get any warning of the instant-on around-corner Stalker Dual (or it could just be that I was unlucky and there was no prior use to be detected). Lesson learned the hard way! Hope others aren't making the same mistake. On the plus side, he said that enabling Ku would NOT affect reception at all on any of the other bands (that is, it doesn't take any time away from receiving Ka, for example).

Cheers

Professional

I like the Small l mode myself--detector is alot more active though. Putting into into Big L mode makes it almost to quite. Thats weird it takes away some KA detection which is not good---Wonder if the test crew checked that out?

Good Citizen

V1 manual needs updating, both logic modes filter K band, confirmed when I asked V1 rep on the phone, and seen during testing... logic 1 'l' visually shows filtered K, but reports it at muted volume - advanced logic, 'L' visually and audible hides filtered K.

NY has a contract for POP guns, but I'm not sure if they're in use in that mode..V1 doesn't tell you it's POP, just warns of KA

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    Well, as some know I'd been without a V1 since mine got confiscated in Canada last Fall. I finally bit the bullet and sprang for a new one, which arrived yesterday morning. I made a 500 mile trip with it in the evening. The new 3.826 seems to work beautifully, as I received alerts on each band only where expected. The laser falses from GM brakelights are still present, but seemed a bit reduced. I received one alert that J'ed out as I passed a rest area with no LEOs, but plenty of travelers. Perfect so far I did not receive any POPs, but don't believe it to be in use over most of my trek (mostly NY). The detector was mounted high on the windshield, and I used my bone-stock remote display for about the second half of the trip, including the incident below.

I was following about 1/4 mile (roughly 10 seconds) behind a "rabbit" on a road with some curves and elevation changes (I-81 north of Syracuse, near Adams). It was well after dark. I had changed options 5 and H to add increased responsiveness for Ka and to turn on Ku, respectively. Otherwise, the V1 was as stock. I was running it in "L" mode since my understanding from the manual is that only X is partly filtered in this mode (leaving K and Ka untouched). I got blasted with Ka instant-on from about 300 feet as I rounded a corner. Ka had not even peeped in advance I noticed that even with my increased Ka reporting (option 5), that the maximum signal strength was still one LED short of max (a low-powered gun?). The gun in use turned out to be a Stalker Dual.

At this point I have to assume that my "rabbit" merely woke the LEO up but didn't give him enough time to shoot. That's the explanation I hope for since I got NO warning, just utterly toasted. But, I wonder if any of the above settings might have made a difference (Advanced Logic "L", Increased Ka reporting "5" or Ku band on "H"). Any thoughts?

Speed Demon

Thanks for the info.

I'm talking Ka here in this thread (not K). If V1 doesn't tell it's POP, how am I supposed to know to attack it in court (since POP can't be used as evidence)??? That would stink!

Anyway, in my particular case I now realize that I was too far behind my rabbit to pick up the LEO aiming at the particular angle he used. Oh well, live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by guardian
    V1 manual needs updating, both logic modes filter K band, confirmed when I asked V1 rep on the phone, and seen during testing... logic 1 'l' visually shows filtered K, but reports it at muted volume - advanced logic, 'L' visually and audible hides filtered K.

NY has a contract for POP guns, but I'm not sure if they're in use in that mode..V1 doesn't tell you it's POP, just warns of KA

Speed Demon

The issue of whether either or both of the logic modes affects Ka and/or K band filtering has been spreading over several different threads, so I'm going to try to consolidate it in one place (at least until it's finally resolved): http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...?p=89328#89328

Power User

Didn't someone just post that they spoke to a Mike (not Mike V) at VR and the tech said explicity that the program does NOT filter Ka either in L or l mode. I would be peeved about this confusion as well. Bottom line you have to lick your wounds, Instant on, you have little defense against. Even if you were in A mode you probably have the same out come.