Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default How dark to go on front/rear tints?

Hey guys. I'm about to take delivery of my new E92 M3 in a couple of weeks and tinting the glass is at the top of my to do list. It's a black car with black interior in South Florida, so I plan on going 15% on the sides (please spare the legal advice) and as dark as practical on the front and rear, probably 30-50%. I also plan on hardwiring my V1 and mounting it just above the rearview mirror. I've read some posts about tint affecting the performance of the V1, but it seems that most posts are referring to the dark (almost black) stripes that some cars have across the top of the windshield. Mine doesn't have that, it would only have whatever tint I apply aftermarket. I want to strike a balance between tints on the front and rear dark enough to keep the car cool and look good, and preserving the V1's ability to do its job. Please share any advice or opinions, as well as personal experience, about how dark you can go on the tint before significantly affecting the V1's performance. Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: How dark to go on front/rear tints?

Non-metalic tint has no effect. I have 35% vinyl, which not very clear, and pick up rear laser scatter from OSP on many occasions.

Radar Fanatic

Last edited by aa2033; 07-24-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Experienced

As long as you get non metallic you should be fine. I recommend formula one tint

I have 5% on the rear and can't remember what's on the sides....no problems with the radar.... but I am planning on (sometime in the future....) going with double limo tint on the back (i.e. 5% put on twice) and then 5% on the rear doors and leave the tint I have on the front (driver and passenger) doors what i have now.... then I will be investing in a back up camera lol

Radar Fanatic

Last edited by aa2033; 07-24-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Radar Fanatic

I think 20 percent all around looks good, but not on the windshield. It's extremely annoying to have a tinted windshield. My friend has his windshield tinted on an old car and I hate it. It really decreases visibility.

Speed Demon

I'd say 20% or 35% all around. Kinda looks tacky when you start mis matching darkness unless you leave the fronts alone. I think I'm gonna do 35 or 50% on my rears in the spring.

x2 for not tinting the windshield, then again i like doing most of my driving at night so I like to see everything. You get used to tint's darkness either way, so I wouldnt worry about "not being able to see" too much.

As an aside to the tint, make sure the vehicle does not have any lane assist, adaptive cruise – collision avoidance systems or you won’t be using any RD.

BC

Speed Demon

I just went 15% all around minus the windshield where I just did the strip at the top. The strip is nice at the top because it hides the detectors from thieves if it is hard wired. I think the same shade front and back looks best and I agree with others that nonmetallic tint will have no effect on radar. I agree with the others and would recommend staying away from tinting the windshield. My car has a black interior as well here is a quick pick for reference