Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default 650 miles driven with Ka gaurd off ....Its not worth it !

I drove 650 miles through New Mexico with Ka guard off and Pop off (3.872) 200 miles was all desert and very little traffic and the V1 still alerted to every Rd owner on the highway which made me brake check every 15 min or so. This trip was a great time to test Ka guard off and going through the smallest towns in NM i was still alerted to unknown Ka sources when passing traffic. When i returned on Texas highways Ka guard off got really ridiculous. The V1 falses Ka more or the same as my Whistler Xtr 690SE on Ka band. The rest of the way home i turned Ka guard back on and it was a relief. I only encountered one LEO and he was on a traffic stop running C/O Ka 35.5 forward facing and with Ka guard off the range was average.

Default Re: 650 miles driven with Ka gaurd off ....Its not worth it !

Agreed! Just did the same thing from madison to milwaukee yesterday and could only take it for 10 miles and put it back on

Radar Fanatic

I can easily run the guard off all around my area, and get no falses whatsoever. It's when I get in populated areas that causes a few falsing issues. I guess it's up to the user. I'm convinced that having the guard off increases Ka range, and I am willing to deal with the falses, personally. If I lived in a big city, I probably wouldn't screw with it.

Radar Fanatic

The weekend around can be quiet for falses on the highway. All the midday working stuffs run Crapas.

I am testing Ka Guard off, but just in town driving to and from work. My hours are a bit odd, not the usual rush hours 7 AM and 6 PM. Monday through Thursday wasn’t bad, just worked right. Enough Ka nuisance alerts to be, er, interesting. It is predominantly selective moving I/O K in town so I don’t see Ka all that much, kind of a novelty.

Friday was a PITA, jeez! I had Ka alerts coming out of everywhere with the C’s being the culprits, the arrows showed me that!

I am not technically oriented by any stretch, but if a bigger footprint to the V1 was in the mix for a faster, bigger (?) processor, more circuits boards, software or cooling space in the V1, to handle these nuisance alerts I would not mind putting up a few extras bucks and a larger V1 to handle this. Whatdaya think Mike?

BC

Radar Fanatic

BC, yeah it I quiet late night but ome days I'm hitting the mute button every couple of miles. Like you said if it's on my side of the hwy with Guard off I find them with the RD mounted above the defroster.

Hey NormSky,

Friday was not a stellar day between the C’s and the adaptive cruise control - collision avoidance - lane assist devices, it was interesting. Least ways I could track where and how many in case a LEO tried to slip in the mix, although they are usually on moving I/O K we definitely have moving I/O Ka and I/O X.

As I noted I’m not the most technical, so some of these nuisance alerts may be spot on the frequency, i.e., hard to find a nuance to isolate – remove them. Just guessing with a faster processor, more circuits, improved software, a bigger footprint and cost to get around some of this trash and keep the response time to when the LEO pushes the button the V1 is alerting to the signal no matter what his orientation.

BC

Banned

I ran with it off this weekend too, it was horriable. It will stay on

Radar Fanatic

so how would ka guard off compare to RDR off on an STI-R? Everyone praises STI-R QT performance with RDR off but does it yield the same KA falsing as V1 like that?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Event Horizon View Post
    so how would ka guard off compare to RDR off on an STI-R? Everyone praises STI-R QT performance with RDR off but does it yield the same KA falsing as V1 like that?
    With Ka band segmentation on the STI-R Plus you can block out small segments of Ka band, like 33.6, where almost all the Cobra falses are. At the same time, you can leave RDR off and still get the good QT response. So no, you will not get the same Ka falsing that you will get on the V1 with Ka guard off.

GTO_04