Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Going on Valentine 1 Number Four

Now I have owned four V1s. The second was for my Vette that I hardwired with the remote display. After I sold the Vette, I bought the third when someone punched out the window when I was parked in a $20 plus a day secured parking structure at a hotel. Someone needed the V1, my sunglasses and change more than I apparently did. They forgot the leather jacket, digital camera and video camera on the floor in back. The fourth was just purchased for my new second car. I just feel naked without the V1 tucked up near the mirror. I hate that feeling that the first time I would forget to transfer the V1, I would encounter a speed trap.

My first time cruising with a V1 was a perfect multiple encounter. I was driving across the state where the speed limit is 70. I started getting a signal from behind. So I decided to speed-up. After all isn’t that what the arrows are for? About 10 miles later the signal is starting to get stronger. So I sped up a bit more. Well, another handful of miles and I decided the fun had to end as the LEDs started to increase to that serious level. So I pull behind a big truck and slow it down. Sure enough, less than a minute later here comes a State trooper. He pulls a u-turn and goes the other way. So I pull out and immediately I get a signal from the front. Sure enough on the merge to another highway there he was waiting in the middle.

The big key that I find when using a V1 is believe that single burb. So many times I figured it was just noise. But the range of the V1 is amazing, especially at night. Many times there he is sitting ¾ of a mile or more down the road or just over the crest of a bridge. Many times they have just made their turn and are looking for the quick kill.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Going on Valentine 1 Number Four

Enjoy it... and ALWAYS take your RD out of your car when leaving it overnight, no matter where it is!

Secure my @$$. I bet the 22yr/old kid who parked your car called a friend or two and let them know this Vette guy had the car there overnight and how to get in.

Normally "Secure" at a hotel is: A fence, a guard (read employee dressed differently or rent-a-cop), 4 cameras at each corner and one monitor for them that rotates what camera it looks at every 5 seconds or something. Maybe I am cynical... but I never leave anything of value in overnight.

Enjoy the unit though!

Good Citizen

I’m a big city boy so I know all about crime. Used to work in hotels during high school and hate to say but many employees are major criminals. I am sure that the criminal is known at that hotel or he has an associate who works there.

But this happened in the early afternoon. I just checked in and the parking was self service. I was going out almost immediately so I left most things in the car. The car got hit in just over 1 hour. Just goes to show in this economy, people are desperate. No one is going to wait for night any more.

But Valentine 1 does track serial numbers with a police report so that makes stolen V1s loose a bit in resale value.

The hotel did stand up and pay for the missing items. Hard to believe in this age.

Yoda of Radar

LOL! Cool, and typical story. Crackheads and ghetto rats are so stupid. They punched out my window once for the RD, and ignored my wife and sister's (not the same person, lol) purses, a shotgun, an AR-15, a pistol, body armour, and thousands of dollars in camera and radio gear.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    LOL! Cool, and typical story. Crackheads and ghetto rats are so stupid. They punched out my window once for the RD, and ignored my wife and sister's (not the same person, lol) purses, a shotgun, an AR-15, a pistol, body armour, and thousands of dollars in camera and radio gear.
    He was probably scared out of his mind to try and steal anything else after stumbling upon that kind of weaponry in one vehicle. Probably figured you'd track him down if attemped to grab anything else, lol.

Very cool story though. I'm sure a company like Valentine loves hearing stories like this of a customer so happy with their products that they keep coming back for more down the road.

Professional

So true. I parked in city hotel one day out in California and there was a big sign "Please lock your doors, we are not responsible for lost or stolen items"...Yeah right. More like the employees will have a field day on your car. lol. Plus there were NO cameras. Come on..really?!?

Radar Fanatic

I have number 2 & 3, first was stolen with car. Think of it as upgrade costs since 1997!

Speed Demon

Sorry to hear about your V1. I hear you, I'm so used to driving with my V1 I don't feel comfortable driving without it. Glad you got a replacement. Good luck with this V1.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I guess they are so hyper all they see is the V1? The part I hate the most is all the glass. Seems like it gets all over when it explodes. The hotel people cleaned it all up. But the worst part was driving 5 hours back home with plastic covering the drivers window. I should have had the window replaced but I had so much going on. And I just didn’t think about the noise at 80 mph with just duct tape and a few mils of clear plastic over the drivers window in a thunderstorm.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by johndetroit View Post
    I hate that feeling that the first time I would forget to transfer the V1, I would encounter a speed trap.
    So do I! I can relate to that. Before I had my own car, I'd alternate cars or ride with others. The dumbest thing someone told me was, "C'mon, we're in a hurry we, don't need that." (My RD) Quite the opposite...

Turns out there's a cop running C/O k band on my way to school that morning. He hadn't been there for days, until I leave without the V1. Fortunately, he didn't stop us (doing about 8 over), but since then, I insist on bringing a RD everywhere, esp. when I'm in a hurry. I don't know what would have been worse, forgetting the RD or getting a C/O ticket!

Congrats on your fourth V1!