Newcomer

Default V1 upgrade: so is it free or not?

I was under impression all V1 software and firmware upgrades are free. Yet when i go to the website, it asks for $75 plus shipping:

Upgrade Proposal for Your Valentine One
    Serial Number 28499xxxxx

Our POP Upgrade* for this series of V1 will produce the following benefits:

* Fewer false alarms from other detectors compared to your POP1 V1.

* A new warning: POP2 includes an improved warning feature: when the signal-identification system determines that a current warning is, in fact, a spurious signal transmitted by another detector, it notifies you with a “dee-dah-doo” sound and terminates the warning. At the same time, the letter “J” will flash briefly in the Bogey Counter.

* Euro Mode: You will enjoy longer radar range and fewer false alarms in European driving. Euro Mode adapts V1’s radar sensitivity to the way radar is used for photo enforcement in Europe. It narrows and intensifies radar coverage to K and the sections of Ka bands applied there to photo radar. X band is not covered in Euro Mode. (V1 is already optimized for North American radar as it comes from the factory. Euro Mode is not appropriate for driving here.)

This upgrade will install the Euro Mode but you must activate it. To activate, see http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

* One-year limited warranty starting at upgrade date, same as new units.

-- Upgrade to POP2 and Euro Mode: As soon as we receive your old unit (in operable condition with no tampering of the serial number) we’ll install revised firmware, then return it to you in the shortest possible time with a new serial number to indicate its revised capability.

PRICE: $75 plus shipping

Yoda of Radar

I belive they are only free for the first year.

Speed Demon

Yours seems to be the old hardware since it does not have Euro mode. VR does charge for hardware upgrades. The Euro hardware came out with firmware rev 3.821. The 3.826 firmware only applies to 3.821 and newer, unless you upgrade the hardware. I read a rumor here somewhere that VR was working on a "3.820" firmware that would update many older units without requiring a hardware upgrade (that is, they still wouldn't have Euro mode).

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    thanks! nice dog btw!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by yan_750i
    Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    thanks! nice dog btw!
    Thanks yan, they are my life....no matter how mad or sad I am they make me smile.......

Professional

Yes they are free for as long as your warranty last. If not then it is a $75 charge. The Val REP said what ever method u ship it to them they match on the way back. They overnighted mine back.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by hookem202
    Yes they are free for as long as your warranty last. If not then it is a $75 charge. The Val REP said what ever method u ship it to them they match on the way back. They overnighted mine back.
    warranty is only for a year, right? i got my V1 in october of 2004

Professional

Yours require a hardware upgrade like mine did! They actually take ALL your insides out and replace with ALL new, so in reality you are getting a NEW detector.

The upgrades appeared to be worse than what mine shipped with through my warranty year. Now that they got it right, I'm out of warranty :wink: