Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ka gaurd

Good Citizen

Default ka gaurd

I am on trip right now, in MI going back to minnesota I was wondering does make a difference in range with ka guard off

Other setting more response. Doe there setting give you more range.

Was also wondering passed a few MI state trooper picked one up at 1 plus miles see 3 now facing traffic not picking up nothing...

Experienced

Default Re: ka gaurd

Keep Ka guard on, otherwise you will pick up all the Cobras under the sun, and you will eventually become de-sensitized to the Ka sound. Keep it ON. No difference in range.

More response is not smart either. It will NOT increase range. It will just ramp up really quick, which won't give you any idea where the LEO is. One of the great things about the V1 is the accurate ramp-up in the signal strength/sound. This setting kills that feature. Keep OFF.

They probably are not shooting constant-on radar. they might be using quick trigger, laser, or just writing reports. Don't worry about it.

Good Citizen

Why does MI state police have such old lights

Power User

Ka guard off will make you brake check every 10 min and make you piss your pants. I would only turn Ka guard off when in the desert with no traffic.I drove 650 miles and in the desert on a 2 lane highway i was still alerted to every leaky RD.

Radar Fanatic

As mentioned, you will definitely get more falses when traveling on interstates and what not, but I have to admit that my longest encounters have came with the guard off. May just be coincidence, but I can't say for sure. I can leave the guard off in my area, and not deal with many falses, but when I get on the interstate, or more populated areas, the falses can get to be a little much.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Google is your friend; whereas the Forum SEARCH is not

The Professors' take on the subject:
    Ka Guard

Feel free to experiment
    although
    *I* wouldn't be inclined make any changes while on a trip. Experiment while in a familiar environment, so you have a baseline.

Advanced Member

"So, who is the King of the V1's" thread answers your question. The increase is a very small amount with the Ka Guard off with a direct signal, same as my own test. But the difference is when the signal is not direct, an indirect reflected signal, as the statement "a choppy signal" that is weak, that is where major gains can happen sometimes with the Guard off. For most users, as stated before, leave the Guard on for it is not worth the difference in distance most of the time, again, for users who spike the brakes everytime the V1 alarms or in a heavy traffic Metro area. But try it for yourself and decide for yourself, only you can answer your question. I have got some major long distance 1 LED alarms with the Ka Guard off, I like it off if the conditions allow it. Why do you think GOL tested the V1 with the Guard off?. Leave #5 defaulted (up) unless you have photo radar, other wise, you will spike the brakes more on Ka- no increase in distance....

Experienced

Just try it for yourself; that's the best test. I did it with my V1 shortly after I got it and learned my lesson rather quickly. The first few days were fine with no changes, but the falses racked up fast. After driving in bumper to bumper traffic for about five miles with a Crapra in a nearby car constantly triggering my V1 on Ka, I finally decided that it's simply not worth it. Personally, I need to be able to trust Ka alerts, so unless you're driving on extremely desolate roads or facing photo radar where you could experience a slight benefit, I'd leave it on. Also, only enable #5 if you're facing photo radar; otherwise, you'd be destroying the V1's silky smooth audio ramp-up.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post
    Google is your friend; whereas the Forum SEARCH is not

The Professors' take on the subject:
    Ka Guard
    Best explanation ever of Ka guard.

Quote Originally Posted by gtpjonny View Post
    Why does MI state police have such old lights
    1) MSP claim the single beacon is more aerodynamic and allows higher top speeds.

2) Proponents also claim that with the halogen beacons, they have better visibility in fog and snow.

3) Tradition.

BTW, there is now an LED version of the beacon.

GTO_04
    Last edited by GTO_04; 04-05-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Good Citizen

Like Silverado12 said the best test is to try it yourself. I turned it off for 3 days and could not take slamming my brakes on the highway for no reason. Ka guard will for sure stay on for me.