Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V1 - POP Off

Default V1 - POP Off

Does turning POP off on the V1 have any postive effect on range?

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Default Re: V1 - POP Off

Quote Originally Posted by marko760 View Post
    I have not noticed a difference vs. 34.7 Ka by running with POP off, but K-band seems to be more consistent with POP on.

In POP mode, the V1 is sweeping 33.8 Ka and K band at 5 times the normal rate which gives it a better chance of seeing a weak signal (and in the case of 33.8.......verifying it) before it disappears. I think that at fringe detection range the signal is unstable with irradic peaks above the noise floor.......and so this increased sweep rate can improve detection range.

So I would say POP on should theoretically improve 33.8 Ka and K-Band range. Turning POP off would have a much smaller positive effect on 34.7 and 35.5.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Advanced Member

^^^X2. Just alarms (k & the 33.8 MPH Ka freq.) quicker therefore if you are traveling a certain speed, the alarm will alarm sooner a few feet futher away from the source (most users can not tell the difference, it is that little). If no MPH guns are in your area, do turn POP off unless you have a lot of I/O K which makes the K band respond super fast so the op can react to slam the brakes and pray that he did not get on the fastest display.....

Thanks for the info. I'll just leave it on. I do have quite a bit of K band and decent amount of Ka up here east of Cleveland. The V1 has always performed well, I was just curious about the POP thing.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by nine_c1 View Post
    I have not noticed a difference vs. 34.7 Ka by running with POP off, but K-band seems to be more consistent with POP on.

In POP mode, the V1 is sweeping 33.8 Ka and K band at 5 times the normal rate which gives it a better chance of seeing a weak signal (and in the case of 33.8.......verifying it) before it disappears. I think that at fringe detection range the signal is unstable with irradic peaks above the noise floor.......and so this increased sweep rate can improve detection range.

So I would say POP on should theoretically improve 33.8 Ka and K-Band range. Turning POP off would have a much smaller positive effect on 34.7 and 35.5.
    great info nine.

What is the normal sweeping pattern while pop is off? do you know?

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by 4ringz4life View Post

great info nine.

What is the normal sweeping pattern while pop is off? do you know?
    I'd attach the document but the upload takes an error on this forum.......like everything else.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Uvd...page&q&f=false

NOTE: Make sure to scroll to the top of the document when it opens in your browser!

Check out Figure #6. That is the basic V1 LO Sweep scheme.

Figures 2 & 3 are normal sweep without POP activated and figures 4 & 5 show the sweep pattern with POP active. You will note the (5) mini sweeps for 33.8 and 24.15 (as well as an oversweep looking for LO harmonics) with POP active.
    Last edited by nine_c1; 06-25-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Radar Fanatic

I would turn pop off.

Professional

Last edited by speeddemon; 09-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Newcomer

Dang, is nine_c1 a radar engineer? After reading allot of his posts, if not someone needs to give him an honorary masters degree..

I'll turn my POP back on..had it off forever. Glad I read that post for sure. I/O and weak detection is my main concern as I travel sometimes hundreds of miles a day mostly on interstates and highways.
    Last edited by JamesT; 06-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Lead Foot

POP off slows the reaction time, the V1 wouldn't detect quick trigger radar with it off. Tested my recent tuned V1 with firmware against my Kustom HR-12 K band hand held with POP off/on 10 out of 10 times the V1 didn't respond to Q/T with POP off both front and rear antenna, but did detect Q/T with POP on 10 out of 10 times.