Good Citizen

Default Laser encounter in Chicago...

Receiver: V1 V1.8 3.826.

Situation: 55 South just South of Route 83 was a trooper sitting on the median on the left side of the road around 11am today. As I came across a slight hill and a slight bank to the left, I had a scatter of laser from .25 miles out! When I got up on the trooper I noticed this----he was shooting the laser gun into his outside drivers side rear view mirror to traffic coming up behind him like I was :shock:

I didn't know the laser gun would get a reading that way---i.e., using a mirror to bounce the signal to the target. Then again, who is to say he was going about it in the correct manner :roll:

Anyone else run into a trap like this?

Good Citizen

Never seen that trick, seems pretty wild. Any chance he could have been lasering traffic on the other side of the median, trying to point the gun over the top of his side mirror, and just got it a bit too low ? Usually the visual sighting optics are more near the top of the gun, so it's possible that he did not realize that the lower laser emitting portion was hitting his side mirror, while he was looking over the top of it.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by below_the_radar
    Never seen that trick, seems pretty wild. Any chance he could have been lasering traffic on the other side of the median, trying to point the gun over the top of his side mirror, and just got it a bit too low ? Usually the visual sighting optics are more near the top of the gun, so it's possible that he did not realize that the lower laser emitting portion was hitting his side mirror, while he was looking over the top of it.
    I suppose it's possible; however, there's a concrete barrier he'd have to get over and I didn't notice chase cars in the North bound lanes. I did notice as I drove by that he was 1/4 out the window with the unit within, what appeared to be 8" of that outside drivers side rear view mirror.

Who knows, right :wink: