Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Can cop radar damage my V1?

So I pulled out of my driveway, and about 30 seconds into my drive, I start getting a Ka warning. The cop was over a mile away, when I started picking it up.

The problem was that the Ka radar seemed SUPER strong. I think I was picking this up somewhere between 1 to 2 miles away (most likely well over a mile). When the cop passed me, the V1 was beeping so hard it sounded like it was going to break ha. The cop was facing right at me, and next thing I know I started getting an X-band alert, and there was no x-band around. I think the radar was overloading the RD, and making a X band alert appear.

Could this have damaged my RD? I'm so paranoid now of losing sensitivity after hearing of others damaging their RD with radar guns.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Can cop radar damage my V1?

Never heard of this happening, have been using one since 1999. Could just be a coincidence, but if you have a problem with your V1 send it back to be service with a note telling them what happen. Wouldn't be surprised that police are stooping to this level.

Experienced

The short answer is NO. The front end of the any receiver can be damaged by being overloaded however its highly improbable in this instance. He would have to put his radar unit inches away from the V1. Even then its ???
    Last edited by dr_King; 07-04-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Advanced Member

^^^^X3. I would be worried only if you looked in the mirrow and saw yourself glowing......lol.....If the X band was weak, it could be a door opener or another RD. But a super strong X band, another Leo?

Experienced

I highly doubt there was any X band around. None of the LEO's here use X-band. I live in a really small town, and there aren't any x-band door openers. It is possible that a state trooper could have possibly been a mile or two away, but HIGHLY unlikely. X-band alerts don't really happen in town. As soon as the cop passed, I didn't pick up another X-band hit.

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    ^^^^X3. I would be worried only if you looked in the mirrow and saw yourself glowing......lol.....If the X band was weak, it could be a door opener or another RD. But a super strong X band, another Leo?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by comno6 View Post
    I highly doubt there was any X band around. None of the LEO's here use X-band. I live in a really small town, and there aren't any x-band door openers. It is possible that a state trooper could have possibly been a mile or two away, but HIGHLY unlikely. X-band alerts don't really happen in town. As soon as the cop passed, I didn't pick up another X-band hit.

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    There are a few cheap old RDs still out there that spew out X band trash....

Radar Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about any damage. It's not gonna happen in a situation like that. As for the X band hit? Who knows.

Radar Fanatic

I can't see any hits causing any damages/

Good Citizen

The V1 is kinda like the baseball and the radar is the bat. The ball takes a hit, but it is able to take a hit again. The ball will take many, many hits in its life, just as your V1 will.... The ball will eventually get wore out, but never really completely unusable. You can then decide to get a new ball or keep your ragged out ball... Your V1 will eventually get wore out, you then send it in for a tune up. New ball!

Radar Fanatic

Probably the neighbor's sat TV antenna?