Professional

Default Another 3.826 success

The other day I was on the highway and I get hit with a weak Ka. Seeing that I just passed a Texas State Trooper "Ka moving radar being their choice weapon" I thought it was him but the arrow pointed forward. As I persude on, the hit kept getting stronger then cutting off, stronger than cutting off. INSTANT ON. Well about a mile up the interstate another State trooper was hiding on the other side of a cement barricade on entrance ramp on myside shooting people as they passed by. Iwas so excited. After exiting the interstate i entered anothe highway and was hit by k-band. Well no KIDDING 2.2 miles up the road one of the local sherriffs was using his radar. 3.826 k-band detection has blossomed alot!!!! Two thumbs up for MIKE!!!!!!!

Lead Foot

How does this happen for you guys?

I live in Florida which isnt exactly known for its obfuscated roads and I've never gotten more than 1/4mi of lead time on Ka in my life.

Professional

Where i live, both interstates are pretty much, long straight strectches of road. I also dont live in a big city so curves and other obstuctions dont exist. Down in El,Paso where sml tested in 2005 there Rd alerted 8-9 miles in advance.In west texas the land in very flat and deselet. Therfore giving a long clear view of the road ahead. So Detection range varies from place to place, and each individual officers radar using techniques also makes detection range vary. Some may just keep theirs on "constant on" others with "intant on" may like to clock every driver as they pass by, others may be more selective and only trigger at people they believe are speeding. Range varies tremendously, dont get me wrong i also get 1/4 mile warning. It all depends.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyRadar

I live in Florida which isnt exactly known for its obfuscated roads and I've never gotten more than 1/4mi of lead time on Ka in my life.
    I travel the turnpike from central florida to south florida, and at time especially in more congested areas I am lucky to get a half mile alert, then on streight stretches I had a few 1.5 miles warning. So it all depends, there are so many variations, no situation is the same.

The other day downtown I never got a Ka (35.5) warning as I rolled up on a sheriff writing a ticket, not untill I came parallel with him then got intermitent alert after I passed. Then another time holy hell I got continued to get a very weak Ka (same 35.5) and the bugger was way the hell up the road in a parking lot in a big strip mall.

Some say that the radar guns could be more powered than others, this is not a user selectable it just comes out the factory that way.

So in the end, don't worry, your not the only one jealous.

Longsnowsm

Like others have implied it can be the road, terrain, the frequency the LEO is shooting.

Another factor can be in how the user interprets the info the RD may provide. It can be easy to overlook a blip as just another polluting detector when in fact it is real instant on being used some distance away. It can be especially tough if the road isn't that busy at the time so the LEO isn't blasting away for you to get a signal on a frequent enough basis to determine the nature of the threat. It then becomes a judgement call.

I have been pretty fortunate in that my RD has on quite a few occasions picked up a distant Ka threat at 1+ miles(generally long, straight, flat roads that are clear of obstructions). After seeing the GOL numbers on the specific Ka bands it makes sense why some Ka signals are up close and others can be picked up at greater distances.

Some of this comes with time and experience using the detector. Sometimes it is dumb luck. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! BOL

Longsnowsm

Radar Fanatic

i went on a road trip to the poconos yesterday and came back today. i went from NY, to NJ, to PA.

on the way i passed 4 leo shooting constant-on x band in NJ. The v1 in little-L mode gave me great range. Little-L mode is great as i noticed it gave me a few more seconds that it would have at big L mode, basically when it started playing it at loud volume vs. mute. if your on the highway little-L mode is a must unless there are ridiculous amounts of falsing. i got great range on these leo as in one situation i was being a bunny, got an alert with so much range, slowed down and changed lanes as i watched the guy behind me fly on by at 85 as the leo nails him. thats the greatest thrill i get with my v1, when it REALLY saves me from tickets!

coming back i saw 1 leo shooting laser in PA, and ran into 2 leo shooting K band on i80 this time in NJ. i got awsome k band range as i did with X. this made me fall right back in love with my v1 again as i neglected those bands and was most concerned with Ka. im glad i had the very best for what i had to deal with today, nothing else would have compared. another proud day as a v1 owner 8)

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyRadar

Might just be the officers, maybe they haven't been shooting all the cars ahead of you. One time in my mustang I was about 100 ft from a trooper when he pulled the trigger, couldn't belive it.

Professional

hey hookem, do you still use your rev 5 X50? How does it stack up to your 3.826?

Where are you in the Lone Star State? Always good to see another Texan in here.