Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Is it possible to have just the accessory port on direct wire kit go out?

I don't know what's going on. I ordered a flat mute button from a place and when I got it I had to buy a telephone splitter to split the concealed display and the mute button. I wired it up quickly to make sure it was going to work and it did so I started taking things apart to run the wires where I wanted.

Anyways, while I was working I had the in-line fuse for the direct wire kit laying loosely and shut my drivers door which shattered the plastic housing for the fuse. Luckily I had a brand new one that I switched out real quick. Well after getting the new one connected I can't seem to get any power/communication to the concealed display or the mute button.

After verifying that I have things wired correctly, it still wasn't working. So I went to Radio Shack and bought a 1amp in-line fuse wiring harness and connected it back to the original direct wire kit that I busted. Well, this doesn't work either although when everything is connected I get power and full functionality out of the V1 but nothing from the accessory port. This works the same way with the BRAND NEW direct wire kit [full functionality from V1 but nothing from accessory port].

I tried connecting my V1 to the cigarette lighter adaptor and everything works fine [both the V1 & concealed display with the new mute button].

Is there something I'm missing? Could TWO accessory ports have gone bad just like that? I'm not electrical engineer but not sure where to go from here. I've direct wired these things up for the last 15 years and never had any problem, so I kind of know what 's going on with the wiring.

And this could all be something VERY small that I've overlooked but baffled right now.

Ideas?

Power User

Default Re: Is it possible to have just the accessory port on direct wire kit go out?

I had the same problem last week. Check your ground connection,mine had a bad connection. I crushed my fuse holder the very first day i had it because it was under the door jam.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Is it possible to have just the accessory port on direct wire kit go out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    I had the same problem last week. Check your ground connection,mine had a bad connection. I crushed my fuse holder the very first day i had it because it was under the door jam.
    Did your V1 work while using the direct wire kit? I would think that if it was a bad ground then neither the V1 and the concealed display would work.

Power User

Here is a trick that i did. Plug your 12v power cable in the cig lighter and plug in into the control box. This will tell you if you have a power issue.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jag42 View Post
    Here is a trick that i did. Plug your 12v power cable in the cig lighter and plug in into the control box. This will tell you if you have a power issue.

If your saying to connect everything to the cigarette lighter adaptor I did that and everything works fine like it should.

I reversed, switched all of my telephone cables while they were plugged in to the cigarette lighter adapter and they all worked fine like the should.

When I plug everything into the direct wire kit, only the V1 works like it should. The concealed display does nothing and it doesn't control the modes like in the video above.

I've tried connecting TWO DIFFERENT Direct Wire kits and I get NOTHING from the accessory port, but the V1 functions normally.

I'm confused!

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

did the direct-wire kit ever work properly ?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by OldGoat View Post

Yes, I've been using the original one for quite a while. The reason I wanted to rewire is because I had a really long "tan colored" telephone cable that I've been using and got the original V1 telephone power wire plus I got the new mute button. So I thought while I was there I'd tighten up everything.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Ibis Ghost View Post

Yes, I've been using the original one for quite a while. The reason I wanted to rewire is because I had a really long "tan colored" telephone cable that I've been using and got the original V1 telephone power wire plus I got the new mute button. So I thought while I was there I'd tighten up everything.

man, that's a bit confusing.

has the 'tan cord' ever worked with the direct-wire kit ?
    can you see that the 'tan cord' has at least 4 wires in the connector ?

define tighten up

Good Citizen

Yes, it is confusing. However I did just find out my problem...

For some reason I was using what I thought was a black Valentine One telephone cable but it WAS NOT a correct cable. It was black but it only had two wires instead of 4, I guess it's called a "cross-over cable". So the V1 would work but it would not send power to the concealed display.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibis Ghost View Post

man, that's a bit confusing.

has the 'tan cord' ever worked with the direct-wire kit ?
    can you see that the 'tan cord' has at least 4 wires in the connector ?

define tighten up
    Last edited by Ibis Ghost; 09-28-2011 at 01:09 PM.