Default Settings for Los Angeles/So Cal and POP Question

Just got a new V1 and about to program it, but curious to hear from any other Los Angeles or So Cal users what settings you're using. I live in Studio City, and most of my driving is in Los Angeles and the Valley (freeways and in town). I've read through this forum extensively and from what I gather X band should be disabled as it's not in use anywhere around here, and I'll definitely auto mute K band to limit the falses in town. What I don't know is whether I should run with KA guard on or off, and if I should run with POP on or off - I've read conflicting posts about what to do with both. I don't believe POP is used in Los Angeles, so my inclination is to disable it, but does it add sensitivity to any of the bands I will encounter (KA specifically) because of the 5 extra sweeps per cycle? Will POP off reduce K band falses? Any Los-Angeles specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys. Great forum. Look forward to contributing.

Newcomer

Default Re: Settings for Los Angeles/So Cal and POP Question

I live near LA. I run X off, 30sec automute for K, stay muted at 4 lights, muted rear K, POP off and filter on. Everything else default. Guard is your choice, try it off for a few days, but I suspect you'll probably get enough false alerts that you'll turn it back on, especially in LA. If you're mainly driving the freeways, you're only going to hit Stalker Ka, so don't worry about K so much. You're going to hit enough false K alerts driving through the city that you're going to become immune to K.

Good Citizen

Totally agree with that comment. I do get hit with Laser here and there as well. Especially from bike cops in BevHlls area. Frustrating as hell.

Good Citizen

I went for a quick LA trip last year for the first time with V1. Fine with all default settings.

agree with whats been said, Ka is the band you'll see the most, with the occasional Laser/K (i've personally never encountered a LEO with K but i've heard from others) in local settings (you shouldn't be speeding)

Newcomer

I disable X and K band. only pop, Ka and laser. this reduce false alarms 90%

depends where you live I guess. I'm north and west of LA but I go into LA for work.

Experienced

Ka is by far the most prevalent threat, followed by laser. X & POP should be disabled if you value your sanity. The day you get a ticket from a POP or X band gun is the day you can re-enable those settings, but I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon. K band is kind of your choice. I've yet to see real police K-band in SoCal, or anywhere in CA for that matter. I run my V1 with K-band on, but in little l mode with full muting so that I can see the alerts, but I never have to hear them. FWIW, I would be completely comfortable driving with k-band disabled in CA. V1 is just as quiet as any Belscort with these settings (minus the laser falses). As for Ka Guard, you'll probably want it enabled. The performance gains without the Guard are minimal and IMO don't justify all of the falses you'll pick up from cheap radar detectors. Feel free to try it out for yourself though. Good luck!