Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default @IN Tollroad: Cop caught her, but V1 did not go go off

The wife was on her way to her sister's house today (drove from our house in Bolingbrook, IL on the way to South Bend, IN) and while at the Indiana Tollroad about 15 minutes from the Misuwaka exit a cop stops her saying she was doing 92 mph at a 70 mph limit. SHe said, he gave her some sort of ticket which does not say how much the ticket costs and that she has to "call in" to find out the details.

The wife swears that the V1 did not go off. This V1 is the newest model, bought it about 3 months ago or less. It's the one with POP enabled.

My V1 which is 10 years old, never ever "betrayed me", I never got a speeding ticket and I am not going slow ever.

The wife says, she asked the cop if he were sure that he caught her with a radar gun because she has a radar detector, but of course realized that this may piss him off more and stopped that conversation. THe cop said nothing back to that.

I am suspecting that the wife COULD ask the cop to see the radar and the 92mph claim (she did not but she is also wondering) but not sure what the law and stipulations are for such a request and if they are different from state to state.

What do you guys think?

Power User

Default Re: @IN Tollroad: Cop caught her, but V1 did not go go off

Quote Originally Posted by gavriil1
    she asked the cop if he were sure that he caught her with a radar gun because she has a radar detector
    :roll:

She did not just say that, oh man. (shakes head)

Well I have heard that a officer does not have to show a radar reading, but with lidar that they have to show you. I am not sure how it goes state to state.

Are you sure she had it on?

Radar Fanatic

A 3-month old V1 shouldn't have trouble missing threats, but then again nothing is impossible. I believe someone posted a month-ish ago saying that her two-week-old V1 turned out to be defective. Don't know that she posted the resolution here. I would start with the usual test, which is to drive by some usual falsing spots and see what happens.

There is a version of POP (16ms burst) which the V1 can't pick up save but 10% of the time since the duration is so short. That feature only exists on some MPH handheld units. It also might have been a laser shot that the V1 missed, though that is also rare.

If you haven't already, get as many details as you can from your wife and write up a post for the Beat Your Ticket forum. By details I mean all of them: her specific location, traffic conditions, the location of the cop including the orientation of his vehicle when he clocked her, any device she may have seen, and the specific details of their conversation are all important. Something about this story seems sketchy to me but I can't put my finger on what.

Power User

Even if it was POP, the officer still needs to use instant on which would make the V1 go ape shyt. If you request a discovery of the officers equipment and it IS a POP capable unit, then hold on for a wild ride in court.

Default Re: @IN Tollroad: Cop caught her, but V1 did not go go off

Quote Originally Posted by amoney

Are you sure she had it on?
    Although I was not there, I believe her. IT's on when the engine turns on so...

Radar Fanatic

Even if it was POP, the officer still needs to use instant on which would make the V1 go ape shyt. If you request a discovery of the officers equipment and it IS a POP capable unit, then hold on for a wild ride in court.
    Legally, this statement is 100% true. But the problems are a) would the officer even realize that he can't cite using POP, and b) if he did know it would he actually abide by it? Finally, c) if the officer knows he's doing something he shouldn't be doing why would he ever admit to it? Sadly, our statement that "my radar detector didn't go off" will go over in court like a proverbial "fart in a spacesuit".

Still, you are absolutely right that it will be interesting if it is a POP capable unit. I don't think we have seen a ticket like that on the forum.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Legally, this statement is 100% true. But the problems are a) would the officer even realize that he can't cite using POP, and b) if he did know it would he actually abide by it? Finally, c) if the officer knows he's doing something he shouldn't be doing why would he ever admit to it? Sadly, our statement that "my radar detector didn't go off" will go over in court like a proverbial "fart in a spacesuit".

Still, you are absolutely right that it will be interesting if it is a POP capable unit. I don't think we have seen a ticket like that on the forum.
    I agree.

gavriil1, well if it turns on with the engine, then I too would strongly believe her. Do you have X disabled???

A 3-month old V1 shouldn't have trouble missing threats, but then again nothing is impossible. I believe someone posted a month-ish ago saying that her two-week-old V1 turned out to be defective. Don't know that she posted the resolution here. I would start with the usual test, which is to drive by some usual falsing spots and see what happens.
    The V1 is good. I drive her car sometimes so I have tested it. Not only it goes off, but it is more sensitive than mine.

There is a version of POP (16ms burst) which the V1 can't pick up save but 10% of the time since the duration is so short. That feature only exists on some MPH handheld units. It also might have been a laser shot that the V1 missed, though that is also rare.
    From what I read about POP on V1's site, it should not even be a reason to give a ticket out (in theory). But who knows, maybe that's what happened. Laser too...

The thing is that I have made that route many many times and cops are always around but I never saw laser on that route. It's always radar.

The other info I can share with you is that the wife never pushes the button to make the V1 stop beeping on false alarm (unlike me). So it was not one of those situations where she had it pushed from a previous false alarm and V1 only gave her the two beep sound for a second thread up ahead. She claims no thread indications whatsoever. Very weird!

If you haven't already, get as many details as you can from your wife and write up a post for the Beat Your Ticket forum. By details I mean all of them: her specific location, traffic conditions, the location of the cop including the orientation of his vehicle when he clocked her, any device she may have seen, and the specific details of their conversation are all important. Something about this story seems sketchy to me but I can't put my finger on what.
    I will ask her, but it was pretty typical from what I heard on the phone. The cop was under a bridge, behind one of the poles. I dont know how many other cars were around. The wife passed him and the cop, probably, I am assuming, hit her from the front and then followed her to stop her. He never claimed a pacing, he never said anything about a flying object (vascar). He clearly said, I got you with radar. 22mp over the limit. Period.

Very wierd! I trust my V1 (and it's 10 years older) like myself. It never let me down and I got like crazy on the roads. All roads.

Power User

Well, officers have been known to talk out of their as.s, and it could have been pacing or VASCAR. Laser, nah, the V1 is just as sensitive as if it was freaking X band that would be a first. Like you said very strange NO alert.