Experienced

Question Stupid add-a-fuse question

Got a new ride (2012 Golf TDI, 6 speed), and "un-installed" the hardwire from the old car. Problem is that it was like 110 degrees in the dealer parking lot, and I just wanted to get in the new car's a/c. SO, I forgot which amperage fuse I pulled it from...

I have an add-a-fuse with a little red 10 amp fuse (or at least the fuse has 10A on it). I seem to think that I had it in a 20A fuse in the old car. Not 100% though...

1) I just unplug the fuse, plug this guy in, connect the ground, and re-plug the car's fuse into the spare port on the add-a-fuse right?
    2) Is 20A right for the car's fuse, or should it be a different amperage?

I have a V1 obviously. I will be running a concealed display with the detector, if that matters. My main concern is tapping the right amperage, don't need a fire in the new ride

Thanks all

Advanced Member

Default Re: Stupid add-a-fuse question

Don't want to give you the wrong info...I am sure you'll have the correct answer posted soon enough...

But congrats on the new ride!
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Experienced

20amp should be just fine. find the diagram for your fuse box and find the fuse for the cigarette lighter so you can get a switched source (turns on/off with the car)

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by Gothenburg View Post
    Got a new ride (2012 Golf TDI, 6 speed), and "un-installed" the hardwire from the old car. Problem is that it was like 110 degrees in the dealer parking lot, and I just wanted to get in the new car's a/c. SO, I forgot which amperage fuse I pulled it from...

I have an add-a-fuse with a little red 10 amp fuse (or at least the fuse has 10A on it). I seem to think that I had it in a 20A fuse in the old car. Not 100% though...

1) I just unplug the fuse, plug this guy in, connect the ground, and re-plug the car's fuse into the spare port on the add-a-fuse right?
    2) Is 20A right for the car's fuse, or should it be a different amperage?

I have a V1 obviously. I will be running a concealed display with the detector, if that matters. My main concern is tapping the right amperage, don't need a fire in the new ride

Thanks all
    Find a 10amp switched circuit if you want the detector powering off with the ignition, or a 10amp unswitched circuit if you want the detector power available at all times.

No need to go for 20amps.......that's not really necessary here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Experienced

Well for some crazy reason, VW doesn't give fuse diagrams in the cars or manuals. I found one online, but it only lists certain fuses, and many of them are too large for the add-a-fuse. I think I can get it to work, we'll see.

So due to possible limited options, if I went with 10A or 20A, neither would have a negative effect (blown fuse, fire, grizzly death, etc)?

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by Gothenburg View Post
    Well for some crazy reason, VW doesn't give fuse diagrams in the cars or manuals. I found one online, but it only lists certain fuses, and many of them are too large for the add-a-fuse. I think I can get it to work, we'll see.

So due to possible limited options, if I went with 10A or 20A, neither would have a negative effect (blown fuse, fire, grizzly death, etc)?
    Not at all, either would suffice. You are only drawing maybe one amp at max with your detector and remote display and I think Valentine provides an inline 2amp fuse in the hardwire adapter to protect the detector......so that will blow well before the 10 amp fuse you are plugging into the add a fuse adapter. The circuit you are tapping into will still be protected and limited by the fuse you pop out of the fuse panel and into the add a fuse adapter.

The add a fuse is a very safe way to parallel off of another circuit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]