Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Default How to Set Up Custom Sweeps

For those interested in setting up custom sweeps on their V1Connection.....

Of course you'll need your V1 linked to the V1 Connection and smart phone before you start.

#1. Select Profiles on the V1 connection screen.
    #2. Select the Factory Default Profile.
    #3. Select Special on the menu.
    #4. Enable Euro mode (the detector mode will change to K & Ka Custom Sweeps).
    #5. Now scroll down and select Custom Sweeps.

You will see six custom sweeps with 1-4 selected and 5-6 unselected. To cover the Ka frequencies used here in the US you really only need to set up sweeps 1-3 and 4-6 can be disabled, or you can use them all if you like doubling up sweeps on a particular frequency if you want overkill on that band.

There are really only 3 Ka frequency ranges commonly used here in North America

33.8 Ka.....MPH Brand Radars with a range of 33.7 - 33.9
    34.7 Ka.....Stalker Brand Radars with a range of 34.6 - 34.8
    35.5 Ka.....Kustom & Decatur Brand Radars 35.4 - 35.6

There are also some rare old Stalker ATR handhelds that operated between 34.2 - 35.2 but these are out of circulation for the most part.

I'm just going to deal with setting up sweeps for the current production radars listed above, but you can use sweeps 4-6 to cover anything you want or leave them unselected......your choice.

Good news.....for 33.8 Ka you do not need to set up a sweep! This band is covered automatically in Euro mode via the Euro POP mode that is always active. The 33.8 Ka POP sweeps detect normal 33.8 radar as well.

NOTE: To cover the complete bandwidth of 34.7 you need to use custom sweep 1 & 2. This is due internal calibration points inside the V1 that do not permit a single sweep to bridge a 4 MHZ boundary between 34.770 - 34.774. No sweep can start or stop within that range either, so you have to sweep around it.

So let's get started. In order to adjust a sweep you have to put your finger on the button and drag it left or right to adjust the sweeps start and stop points. This can be a little frustrating with the small buttons and fat fingers but stick with it and eventually you'll get it right. Don't be surprised that when you save the sweeps that the V1 makes some minor adjustments to your selections.....this again because of internal calibration points.

Sweep #1 - Start point at or just below 34.600 / Stop point at or just below 34.770 (V1 should adjust to 34.770 so long as you are within a few MHZ under......ex: 34.766)

Sweep #2 - Start point at or just above 34.774 / Stop point at or just above 34.800 (again the V1 should adjust the start point to 34.774 if you can only get it within a few MHZ above that number.

Sweep #3 - Start point at or just below 35.400 / Stop point at or just above 35.600.

That's it! Now you can click on the file button in the top right corner and save this as a new profile and choose what to call it.......I called mine Custom Sweeps.

Before saving the profile you can also go back and change other settings such as enabling K-Band muting according to your preferences.

With Euro Mode / Custom sweeps enabled you will get a big C in the display. By clicking on the mode button at the top of the V1Connection display, you can switch to Ka Custom Sweeps which will turn off K-Band reception entirely and switch the display to little c. I like to do this in town where the locals only run Ka.

Here are some screen shots of my sweeps (I plugged 5x 34.7 sweeps since I have a good reason to hate on that band). This was version one so K & Ka (photo) has been renamed to K & Ka Custom Sweeps in the latest firmware update to V1 Connection.

Custom Sweeps.JPG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: How to Set Up Custom Sweeps

I'm new here and have been reading quite a bit. I have read about creating custom sweeps and really appreciate the level of detail that you have put in on this tutorial.

I know that this is an old post, and forgive me for bringing it back to life, but can you explain for me why this custom sweep would be better, performance wise, than the pre-programmed options (Big L, little L and A) that come with the V1? What is the benefit of doing this?

I have the V1 Connection app installed and the hardware required for the bluetooth. I was primarily interested in programming some custom muting profiles. I would love to tweak a few settings while I am there to make the V1 work better. I would just like to understand what the benefit of a custom sweep is over the normal sweeps in the V1.

Thanks!

I'm new here and have been reading quite a bit. I have read about creating custom sweeps and really appreciate the level of detail that you have put in on this tutorial.

I know that this is an old post, and forgive me for bringing it back to life, but can you explain for me why this custom sweep would be better, performance wise, than the pre-programmed options (Big L, little L and A) that come with the V1? What is the benefit of doing this?

I have the V1 Connection app installed and the hardware required for the bluetooth. I was primarily interested in programming some custom muting profiles. I would love to tweak a few settings while I am there to make the V1 work better. I would just like to understand what the benefit of a custom sweep is over the normal sweeps in the V1.

Thanks!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyVic View Post

Thanks!
    Think of a radar detector like a scanner. It scans the entire police radar band(s) for a signal and then lets you know when it detects a signal on that band.

Instead of scanning the entire Ka band (33.4 - 36 GHz - that's a 2.6 GHz or 2600MHz bandwidth) you can only scan segments of it, shaving valuable milliseconds off the scan/sweep time. If you're only scanning say a 600 MHz bandwidth out of the 2600, you have saved yourself probably a good full second in scan time, thus resulting in faster Ka detection because it has less to scan.

Does that make sense?

OK. I think I understand the benefit. Another question: Does the V1 scan the 6 possible sweeps simultaneously, or does it scan them sequentially?

Professional

I don't think it does them simultaneously...but I don't know. I don't know enough about the electronics used and the logic behind them. Someone else may chime in that knows more...

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyVic View Post
    OK. I think I understand the benefit. Another question: Does the V1 scan the 6 possible sweeps simultaneously, or does it scan them sequentially?
    No, not simultaneously but it will get through all of the narrow custom sweeps incredibly quick. Faster than you can blink.