Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wiring my new V1

Hey everyone got a rookie question: My cigaret lighter is a constant hot feed so my radar is on at all times unless i manually turn off/on plug in/unplug it from the cigaret lighter, my question is; is it possible to make my constant feed a switched feed (on and off with the ignition).

Thanks for any feed back

Advanced Member

Default Re: Wiring my new V1

You will have to disconnect the (red) wire to the holder and run another wire inbetween the holder and the fuse box to a switchable on/off 12Vdc.....Or buy another holder and connect the same way....Or use the direct wire kit and go to the fuse box for switchable 12Vdc.... Or go the the V1 site and look at the accs for sale that will get you in the right direction....

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    You will have to disconnect the (red) wire to the holder and run another wire inbetween the holder and the fuse box to a switchable on/off 12Vdc.....Or buy another holder and connect the same way....Or use the direct wire kit and go to the fuse box for switchable 12Vdc.... Or go the the V1 site and look at the accs for sale that will get you in the right direction....
    so the V1 needs a 12vdc feed, is every switchable circuit 12vdc. Im thinking about just doing a add-a-circuit to the radio circuit seems easier, its a 10 fuse I doubt the xm radio takes up much and the worst that would happen is fry a fuse.....right ?

Advanced Member

Correct, just tap in somewhere that you know where the px is switchable....The V1 uses little mA power, don't worry about blowing a fuse...

The cord is now causing a huge headache I've found plenty of rj11 that swap black and yellow on opposite ends but for some reason won't power the v1 I did come across one how ever that would light up the display like it was going to boot up but never got farther then that it would stay in that spot with all lights lit. Help!

Finished

So I got the V1 hardwired into my back seat fuse box and was lucky enough to find a spare circuit that turn on and off with the ignition. For the cord I was unable to purchase a new one that would actually turn on as I talked about above. As a temporary solution I purchased a RJ11 splitter at my local Walmart which looks like : http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-RJ-11-L...=rj11+splitter

I used the two power supply cords sent with my v1 and just joined them together at the splitter.
    Last edited by terrydactul; 03-30-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Advanced Member

If you don't have the hard wire kit that came with your V1, order it to make things easy. I would not try to splice/split the phone cable/jack, to much trouble (have to contact Valentine to find what color wire is what). The hardwire kit has the female phone jack, in line fuse and a red and black wire. The red wire can connected to the fuse box fuse (px side) by many ways or with a fuse adaptor (local electronic store). For the black wire ground , look for a nut head off of a screw head in the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    If you don't have the hard wire kit that came with your V1, order it to make things easy. I would not try to splice/split the phone cable/jack, to much trouble (have to contact Valentine to find what color wire is what). The hardwire kit has the female phone jack, in line fuse and a red and black wire. The red wire can connected to the fuse box fuse (px side) by many ways or with a fuse adaptor (local electronic store). For the black wire ground , look for a nut head off of a screw head in the frame.
    Thanks for all your help on this North Alabama, I've completed the install: I finished the hard wire and the RD now turns on/off with the ignition. First I used a add-a-circuit fused at 10 and 2 (for the RD) and hooked it to the driver side back seat fuse box in the "spare" circuit right next to the 20 fused used for the rear defroster. I grounded the direct wire adapter kit that comes with the radar on the bolt that is just under the back support cushion (just back off the nut and slide the grounding prongs under the washer). Next I cut the factory non fused end off the direct wire adapter and stripped it to join into the already half sleeved red wire that comes on a add-a-circuit, crimped that and presto. To run the cord stealth I popped the side paneling that runs along the door towards the front and up between the dash and the door frame, then simply tuck it between the dash and windshield using your fingers to push it in. Hope this helps some one in the future.

So I took my v1 on my first long trip back to where I was born and raised and was really excited to test it out on a known radar "your speed is" sign, I had a feeling my v1 would pick it up no problem it's a straight stretch, as the sign came into site I didn't receive a single beep from my v1 and as I neared closer and that sign pegged my speed the whole way my v1 had nothing to say.. What gives the v1 is less then 2 days old and even my crappy cobra rd I bought from Kmart in high school would pick the sign up.. Help!

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by terrydactul View Post
    So I took my v1 on my first long trip back to where I was born and raised and was really excited to test it out on a known radar "your speed is" sign, I had a feeling my v1 would pick it up no problem it's a straight stretch, as the sign came into site I didn't receive a single beep from my v1 and as I neared closer and that sign pegged my speed the whole way my v1 had nothing to say.. What gives the v1 is less then 2 days old and even my crappy cobra rd I bought from Kmart in high school would pick the sign up.. Help!
    I would drive by other k band sources to be sure. That speed sign could be way out of tune. I came across a speed sign like that in Detroit so it can happen.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by terrydactul View Post
    I would drive by other k band sources to be sure. That speed sign could be way out of tune. I came across a speed sign like that in Detroit so it can happen.