Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Are New Car Sensors Ruining Your V1?

Is anyone else's V1 going off every time you drive next to or pass a new car with blind spot sensors? The new Buick enclaves and now the new Chevy Tahoe are the worst. It hits hard when you pass a new car with sensors just like it would a real threat and it doesn't J out so it is impossible to tell a actual threat from a fake threat now. And if you are behind a new car with sensors it will hit 500 yards away from the back of the new car with sensors. Are we supposed to throw away our $500 V1's now that they are useless? Can we send them in for a firmware update to fix the problem?

Manufacturer

Default Re: Are New Car Sensors Ruining Your V1?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick906 View Post
    Is anyone else's V1 going off every time you drive next to or pass a new car with blind spot sensors? The new Buick enclaves and now the new Chevy Tahoe are the worst. It hits hard when you pass a new car with sensors just like it would a real threat and it doesn't J out so it is impossible to tell a actual threat from a fake threat now. And if you are behind a new car with sensors it will hit 500 yards away from the back of the new car with sensors. Are we supposed to throw away our $500 V1's now that they are useless? Can we send them in for a firmware update to fix the problem?
    Any detector today will be hammered by these obnoxious systems. They started appearing YEARS ago and when I started writing about them, I knew it was only going to get worse and it most certainly has.

The best option available (as imperfect as it is) is to turn on the various filtering mechanisms to reduce them. In VR's case it's the TMF(2) filter. In Belscort's case it's TSR. In Whistler's it's TFSR. All of these systems will greatly reduce the alerting nature from these things but often come with an expense of reaction/sensitivity to legitimate K-band police radar. But given the ubiquitous use of these things, there really isn't any other practical alternative at this point.

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post
    The best option available (as imperfect as it is) is to turn on the various filtering mechanisms to reduce them. In VR's case it's the TMF(2) filter. In Belscort's case it's TSR. In Whistler's it's TFSR. All of these systems will greatly reduce the alerting nature from these things but often come with an expense of reaction/sensitivity to legitimate K-band police radar. But given the ubiquitous use of these things, there really isn't any other practical alternative at this point.

VG

I was unaware that V1 had a filtering system. How do you turn it on? Does it stop the false alarms from the new sensors on today's cars?

What about sending the unit in for a firmware update? Would that help?
    Last edited by Maverick906; 02-11-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Newcomer

how do I find what version V1 i have. Everyone talks about .813 and .872. Where does it say that? I entered my serial number online and it still doesn't tell me.

This is what is says online after I enter my serial number. V1.8.A-POP2 with Euro Mode.
    Last edited by Maverick906; 02-11-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Push the volume knob in while you turn on the v1. It will display the version number, one number at a time, in sequence.

Newcomer

I did exactly what you said and it didn't work. Instead it cycled through different modes (A, little L, and big L). This is a 2008 model V1. Maybe only the newer ones show the model # that way?

Advanced Member

This would be why I have never upgraded my V1.
    Why when people ask should I upgrade.. NO

When Mike gets off his assss and comes up with something new....ok

This is when non V1 users might pounce.

No issues what so ever with above listed vehicle's.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick906 View Post
    I did exactly what you said and it didn't work. Instead it cycled through different modes (A, little L, and big L). This is a 2008 model V1. Maybe only the newer ones show the model # that way?
    Doesn't sound like you caught it then.

With thy the unit turned off, press the large button in and hold it in. Then while keeping it held in turn the unit on.

I already know however that your unit should be upgraded. 2008 is simply too far back.

Send it it in and get it upgraded. The latest V1s have the TMF filtering feature. It will make all the difference in the world.

If you own an iPhone, get the V1connection LE module as well.

Doing these two things will result in RD nirvana.

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Banned

Are New Car Sensors Ruining Your V1?

simple answer with TMF2, NO!!!

TMF2 as tested is a very effective solution to both mobile and stationary K falses. You don't; lose much in IO/QT sensitivity and the ONLY vehicles Ive seen punchy through it are the Acura/Honda BSMs. It has handled the GM/Volvo/Audi BSMs very well. I've had the update for 5 weeks now.

Newcomer

Upgrading my v1 through valentine one's website has a cost of $289 plus shipping. That is 2/3rds the cost of a new one. For that kind of money why not buy a new one and keep my old one as a backup or sell it on Craigslist? I thought upgrades were supposed to be free. When i bought my v1 upgrades were called firmware updates and i thought they were free. Other members on this forum have mentioned their v1's were upgraded for free. Why is mike valentine giving me such a bad deal on an upgrade proposal?