Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default V1 did not pickup PA state trooper

I recently got a speeding ticket on Rt.79 near Meadville. The PA trooper was sitting in the median. The V1 never went off. When I was in Erie, another PA trooper had the gun out the window and the V1 did not pick him up either.

Later on I was in New York and the V1 picked up the their radar every time. Is PA using a new radar band? Any ideas on why V1 is not alarming?

Experienced

Default Re: V1 did not pickup PA state trooper

Quote Originally Posted by exmeaguy View Post
    I recently got a speeding ticket on Rt.79 near Meadville. The PA trooper was sitting in the median. The V1 never went off. When I was in Erie, another PA trooper had the gun out the window and the V1 did not pick him up either.Later on I was in New York and the V1 picked up the their radar every time. Is PA using a new radar band? Any ideas on why V1 is not alarming?
    It could be they are running VASCAR which is timing between 2 points of a known distance. The other possibility is they are running POP and that is hit and miss of picking it up depending on band and POP duration. A ticket should never be issued based on POP alone. As far as the gun out the window, could it be laser and was it trained on you? The V1 picks up all legal bands to use for law enforcement speed control, so it is most likely VASCAR. Don't ever be afraid to ask the LEO what they used to get your speed if you are given a ticket.

The ticket said radar, so it was not VASCAR. VASCAR is used by the locals. PA troops do not use laser. PA is supposed to only use K and Ka and V1 should be picking these up. I have no confidence in the V1 at this point.

Experienced

The ticket said radar, so it was not VASCAR. VASCAR is used by the locals. PA troops do not use laser. PA is supposed to only use K and Ka and V1 should be picking these up. I have no confidence in the V1 at this point.
    I would send it in to make sure it is working correctly then, probably worth the 45 bucks. One other thing, is it possible the audio is working intermittently where you would miss the light indicator only indication. I only mention that because I had that issue once. I am assuming you did not re-program the V1 incorrectly shutting off 1 or more of the bands accidentally, probably not if you said it worked in NY. I would see how if works with K band POP on, and Ka guard turned off. Both of those will give you potentially more falses, but will give you a good idea if it is working or not. Turning on TMF (or junk K fighter) will disable K band POP.

Speed Demon

I've seen PA Troopers use X-band radar in Eastern PA & actually got a ticket b/c I thought it was no longer used there & had it turned-off on my V1.
    When you turn-on your V1 & it steps thru the preferences you have it set-up for...does K-band show as being "ON" ?
    Are there no K-band speed sign drones near you that you could drive by to see if the V1 detects it ?

Radar Fanatic

Just because the cop has a radar gun doesn't mean that its always transmitting.

Advanced Member

So you did not run over anything like 2 trip wires/tracks that PA is famous for? How old is the V1? Does it have the K band junk filtering? How is it programmed? If the unit is working correctly, you are correct that the V1 should have alarmed if it was radar. With filtering like K band junk filtering, a HR-12 low power radar can nab you with ease if done right. Other wise, the ticket could be written wrong......

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by North Alabama View Post
    So you did not run over anything like 2 trip wires/tracks that PA is famous for? How old is the V1? Does it have the K band junk filtering? How is it programmed? If the unit is working correctly, you are correct that the V1 should have alarmed if it was radar. With filtering like K band junk filtering, a HR-12 low power radar can nab you with ease if done right. Other wise, the ticket could be written wrong......
    PA Troopers do use a handheld very low power K-band radar...the FalconHR !

Advanced Member

Sorry Op, I stated something about ENRADD. Locals and not Troopers, I know, my 3 a.m. half asleep reading gets me in trouble.......

Newcomer

Cool Re: V1 did not pickup PA state trooper

Recently had a local LEO ( Waterloo, IN) come down the street and my V-1 did not alert ( I was parked, waiting for train). I could see the unit was operating on his dash. I then fired up my other detector (Belltrontics STI) Sure enough is was showing a strong K band signal @ 24.295 Ghz. WTF. Looked into it and discovered that this unit was operating outside the normal K-Band limits( 24.036 - 24.272 Ghz) The V-1 has very sharp window for LEO radar frequency's so it does not alert if outside this window. I have ran across this before on automated radar speed signs. The v-1 does not alert if the radar is transmitting out of band. The STI does not have the sharp band edges and alerts. Could be that the unit or units were operating out of band. If you have not paid the ticket, you might fight it and request the calibration data for the unit, Tnx