Newcomer

Default Canada advice, please

I will be traveling to Canada in September on my motorcycle. I understand that my V1 is illegal in most places (I'm seeing contradictory information on New Brunswick), but what concerns me are reports that say Quebec actively searches for them and confiscates, as it is supposedly illegal to even possess one there.

Does anyone have current info or advice? I'd really like to bring my V1 into Canada so that I can use it on both the first and final legs of my trip, both of which will be in the US. Am I at risk having it in my backpack?

Thanks,

-dan

Advanced Member

Default Re: Canada advice, please

British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan are the ONLY provinces which allow Radar Detectors.

Quebec is very strict and the fines are heavy. Ontario is not far behind.

Keep the V1 at home. Redline or STi are your only options in Eastern Canada

Ontario Highway Traffic Act:

Speed measuring warning devices

79. (1) In this section,
    “speed measuring warning device” means any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
    Speed measuring warning device prohibited

(2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
    Powers of police officer

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
    Forfeiture of device

(4) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this section, any device seized under subsection (3) by means of which the offence was committed is forfeited to the Crown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (4).
    Penalty

(5) Every person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (5).
    Exception

(6) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who is transporting speed measuring warning devices in sealed packages in a motor vehicle from a manufacturer to a consignee. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.
    Last edited by Hessen; 07-24-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Newcomer

Thank you for the info. In your opinion, how likely is it that my luggage would be searched if I am not using the V1?

-dan

Advanced Member

CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) couldn't care less about RD's. Not in their mandate. So crossing the border is not an issue.
    In Ontario an officer can go through your luggage is he or she "suspects" you have an RD in a motor vehicle. The law is very strange. You are allowed to posses an RD you are just NOT allowed to have it in a motor vehicle regardless of the reason. (That includes the trunk , luggage etc)

That said most cops here are not total A Holes. If an American visiting Canada had an RD in his or her trunk and not in use would give you a pass.

Lots of Americans come here that have RD's in their vehicles and when they see the signs at all border crossings that RD's are prohibited put the RD in the glove box or trunk and the OPP are fine with that.

All provincial Police departments and the RCMP in banned areas use the Spectre RDD.

As long as they are not getting an alert from their RDD they won't mess with you.

Have a safe trip. Just remember when you see our speed limit on major highways as 100 that's in Kilometers not MPH and you'll be fine. LOL
    Last edited by Hessen; 07-25-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Newcomer

Thank you again. Very useful info.

I've ridden in Canada before, and had the V1 tucked away in my pannier, but at that time had not read the scary language about possession. Very good to know how that plays out in the real world.

Oh, and my speedo has kmh on it, though the numbers are tiny. 100 is easy: 62 mph.

-dan