Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ES13Raven

Default V1 Sensitivity - Hardware or Software?

So as we all know the V1.8 3.826 that was tested by Michael B has some impressive sensitivity numbers...

But are those numbers due to adjustments in the software? Does the 3.825 have different sensitivity numbers than the 3.826?

Or is it hardware based?

Michael B? Jim?

Advanced Member

Sensitivity differences can be due to software. Some subtle sensitivity differences might exist between the 3.825 and 3.826, but I dont know this for certain.

Jim

Good Citizen

I would think that the software can control the threshold at which the hardware will send an alert.

It's a fine balancing act that the engineers must do adjusting BOTh the hardware and software to avoind the unit being TOO sensitive and not sensitive enough.

Manufacturer

I did not have the previous software version of the unit tested for comparison. Having said that, it is reasonably safe to assume the previous version is as capable of the same performance pending the softwares ability to reject most radar detectors with the rules that were developed and envoked.

Professional

I would presume the hardware has a limit as to how "sensitive" it is based on the horn design and so forth... after that, the software, as Jim and Michael said, is used to filter out noise and so on. If the software is designed poorly then you have quite a significant loss as well, so I would say it is a combination of both.

Assuming V1's software is nearly as efficient as it can be, I would say the only further improvement would be by using new hardware or new horn design or similar hardware change.

ES13Raven

This is the quote that made me think of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamQuack
    we all know the old v1's don't have the same Ka range as the new ones. its been tested in at least one instance comparing a .825 to a .826 at the last GOL test.

yours is a 3.813 so your telling me you have the same Ka range as my 3.826?
    He was referring to Brent Vino's 3.813, and I believe that the 3.826 has newer hardware than the 3.813.

I was just wondering if Brent's 3.813 has the Ka range capability that the 3.826 does, and if it was a hardware limitation or software. :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    This is the quote that made me think of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamQuack
    we all know the old v1's don't have the same Ka range as the new ones. its been tested in at least one instance comparing a .825 to a .826 at the last GOL test.

yours is a 3.813 so your telling me you have the same Ka range as my 3.826?
    He was referring to Brent Vino's 3.813, and I believe that the 3.826 has newer hardware than the 3.813.

I was just wondering if Brent's 3.813 has the Ka range capability that the 3.826 does, and if it was a hardware limitation or software. :wink:
    If you upgrade from a non-POP to a POP V1, there is also a hardware change but not a complete replacement of the radar receiver. It could very well be that the hardware change allows the V1 to scan the Ka band at a faster rate so POP radar can be detected.

When I upgraded to V1.8 I noticed more sensitivity on K and Ka bands. When I got the POP modification I noticed more sensitivity on Ka band. When I upgraded from 3.825 to 3.826, I get fewer Ka false alerts and maybe a little bit more sensitivity on Ka band.

GTO_04

Radar Fanatic

GOL test the newest V1 did better then 3.824

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Sensitivity differences can be due to software.
    I always thought that software doesn't affect sensitivity, but how the detector reports alerts to you?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Sensitivity differences can be due to software.
    I always thought that software doesn't affect sensitivity, but how the detector reports alerts to you?
    Yes, it does affect sensitivity. One obvious example of this in action is the difference in USA/INTL modes on the RX-65.

The detector might sweep different segments of each band at different speeds. The longer a detector examines a certain segment, the more data samples it will have to average, resulting in increased sensitivity.

Of course, the detector has to balance this with sweeping all bands fast enough for good response time and timing the duration of the detected signal, and also for being able to sweep POP freqs more often.

And, I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff I don't even know about.

Jim