Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turned off POP on whistler pro-58!!!Great results

I turned off POP mode on my whistler pro-58 the other day and noticed instant gains in sensitivity. It doesn't false more, the signal is just greater. Sadley, I pick up cobras driving in the opposite direction with a number 3 and 4, used to be 1 sometimes 2. I tested the range increase on a K band speedsign. It is uphill on a left turn with trees. With the POP setting on, I detected it .6mile away. With POP off, I got a large gain to .8mile. Before, it would show "9" just 50 feet before line of sight, now i get detection of "9" just under tenth mile. JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE MY RESULTS!!!

Default Re: Turned off POP on whistler pro-58!!!Great results

Quote Originally Posted by fastdriver
    I turned off POP mode on my whistler pro-58 the other day and noticed instant gains in sensitivity. It doesn't false more, the signal is just greater. Sadley, I pick up cobras driving in the opposite direction with a number 3 and 4, used to be 1 sometimes 2. I tested the range increase on a K band speedsign. It is uphill on a left turn with trees. With the POP setting on, I detected it .6mile away. With POP off, I got a large gain to .8mile. Before, it would show "9" just 50 feet before line of sight, now i get detection of "9" just under tenth mile. JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE MY RESULTS!!!
    Interesting... I may have to switch off POP on my RD and see if I notice a difference. I was told by Whistler that range would be improved, but by such a small amount that it would be hardly noticeable.

It's ashame we don't even know if POP is being used on us (as oppose to instant-on)... then I'd know whether there is a legitimate threat or not. Oh well. Although I do get good range w/POP on as it is.

Thank's.
    Try to check this out today.

Lead Foot

Yeah, nice to know. I agree on the POP not showing up as a individual signal. I suppose I might not pick it up anyway though. I might have to switch POP off. However, I do not like to hear about the Crapra pick up situation though.

Lead Foot

I have looked it up before and found it, however I can not seem to find how to turn POP on and off on the 58. I came home last night and there happens to be a speed sign in my neighborhood(k-band). I would like to test the results. Could someone tell me how, I will try again at the Whistler site.

Quote Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid
    I have looked it up before and found it, however I can not seem to find how to turn POP on and off on the 58. I came home last night and there happens to be a speed sign in my neighborhood(k-band). I would like to test the results. Could someone tell me how, I will try again at the Whistler site.
    I'm not so sure you can turn POP on or off on the Pro-58. The top models (1793SE, Pro-73, etc.) have the "Option Select" mode in which you can specify everything as on or off... but the lower models usually lack that total control.

Good luck in trying to figure it out (if possible).

sorry, i forgot to post how to turn it off.

It is a hidden feature, not in any manuals but it is possible and simple to do. Just hold both of the volume buttons for a few seconds and wait for a beep. Turn off and back on ur RD, and you will notice that the "P" no longer appears. Good luck!!!

I have to say it falses about 10% more, but i'm already used to how much it falsed before that increased sensitity is worth it.

It is a hidden feature, not in any manuals but it is possible and simple to do. Just hold both of the volume buttons for a few seconds and wait for a beep. Turn off and back on ur RD, and you will notice that the "P" no longer appears. Good luck!!!

I have to say it falses about 10% more, but i'm already used to how much it falsed before that increased sensitity is worth it.
    Did you encounter any more speed signs or do any more testing to make sure you are indeed getting a noticeable increase in range? Or was it just that one K-band speed sign so far? Just interested and want to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by GET 1T DONE

Did you encounter any more speed signs or do any more testing to make sure you are indeed getting a noticeable increase in range? Or was it just that one K-band speed sign so far? Just interested and want to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.
    it isn't a fluke because every one of my known falses gets detected earlier and with a stronger signal.

It doesn't hurt to try, see for yourself, takes 3 seconds to turn it off, and 3 more to turn it back on.

Experienced

hmmm i would rather have 10 feet less to react and less falses