Stealthcb

Default Noisy Afternoon For My Pro 73

My morning commute was pretty normal. At 4:30 a.m., there aren't many LEOs out there to paint you. Normal X-Ban false (8 Friggin bars...turn that alarm down!!) outside a bank here in the Springs, and my normal 2 Ks and an X in Castle Rock and Denver.

Coming home, though, Betty wouldn't shut her FRIGGIN PIE HOLE! X-band all up and down a stretch of 6th Avenue where I normally only get a couple seconds of false. Ka 2-4 bars on I-225, which I think was an Aurora PD off the interstate enforcing locally. One X-band hit where the Lone Tree guys normally sit.

Then, just north of Castle Rock, I get 2 bars of Ka. Then 4 bars. 6. 7. 8. 9! And she just kept screaming, "Ka-Band!" for a good thirty seconds. Had full strength for probably 30 seconds, then dead. Nothing. Nil. Zip.

THere were no LEOs visible on my side of the I, but the oncoming side was obscured by jersey barriers the whole time. I could only see parts of cars. I THINK I saw a white Crown Vic go by, so I checked my RVM and confirmed. COULD have been a LEO, but I saw no added antennas, lights in the windows, etc. Could also have been an old guy.

But the only other thing that coincided with the alert was me passing a semi. The alert ending coincided both with passing the Crown Vic and passing the semi (he was going under the PSL, so I wasn't ignoring the alert). To test my theory (since some people have gotten alerts off semis), I let myself fall back behind him again. This time, nothing.

So either the Ka was coming from the Crown Vic, or bouncing off the semi from a fixed point that I passed. Either way, at 30-seconds of full strength, I'm certain it wasn't a false.

The NEXT alert, however...that was a K-band. Middle of nowhere. No cops around. I glance at the Dodge Ram passing me and what do I see? Yep. Crapra on the dash. Bunghole.

However, a few miles later, I detected a motorcycle LEO atop a bridge, monitoring the traffic on the I. Of course, I detected that with the Mark-1 A1 Eyeball. As I passed, I saw him aiming a LEETLE bitty thingy at me. Must have been LIDAR...way too small for a radar gun. No alert at all from the Whistler, but I know why. I have it mounted high enough that a laser shot from a bridge would be blocked from the Whistler by my tint strip. I may move it down lower for a few days, just to see if I get better results. Might even try it on the dash! I was only a couple over, so it wasn't a big deal. And I know a laser alert without veil or a jammer means you're toast, but I'd like to at least know if he's painting me....

Old Timer

Default sounds

Stealthcb, it sounds like you had a busy day!

Stealthcb

Default Re: sounds

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    Stealthcb, it sounds like you had a busy day!
    LOL. Yeah, probably too much information. But hey -- the new toy, you know.

Professional

lol very busy day! Could have been the new style of LIDAR "gun" that looks like binoculars? Yeah the crapra's leakage really gets on my nerves, and everyone elses! :x

The only 2 things within the Ka band are A) Police radar and B) Crapra leakage. My bet is that it was a LEO you saw

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by cooljay
    lol very busy day! Could have been the new style of LIDAR "gun" that looks like binoculars? Yeah the crapra's leakage really gets on my nerves, and everyone elses! :x
    I didn't get a really good look, but it looked like those ones that I've seen on here. Small box, not a gun-looking thing.

The only 2 things within the Ka band are A) Police radar and B) Crapra leakage. My bet is that it was a LEO you saw
    Except that I've read the Whistler units sometimes have trouble distingushing between K and Ka where the freqs are close...so some Ka could be a door opener, theoretically. But I think you're right -- that was probably a LEO.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthcb
    Except that I've read the Whistler units sometimes have trouble distingushing between K and Ka where the freqs are close.
    Well the ranges are far enough apart I don't see how that could be possible :?:

K band 24.150 GHz
    Ka band 33.2 - 36.0 GHz

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthcb
    Except that I've read the Whistler units sometimes have trouble distingushing between K and Ka where the freqs are close.
    Well the ranges are far enough apart I don't see how that could be possible :?:

K band 24.150 GHz
    Ka band 33.2 - 36.0 GHz
    Hmmmm. Maybe I misunderstood....but I could have sworn that's what I read. Oh well.

Radar Fanatic

Band mis-identification DOES happen with Whistlers sometimes. Cobra too. Jimbonzzz explained it really well once, but I can't remember the details. It made sense at the time though.