Good Citizen

Default whistler on sale at radioshak

There is a whisler on sale for $30/- at radioshack.Its regular price is $60/-. Does any one know if it is worth as a back up detector?It is SRT 30R I think.Any reviews on this detectors?

Yoda of Radar

I think it is Whistlers current low-end model, or at least towards the bottom of the whistler line-up... but as usual the whistlers are pretty solid in the low-end department, giving you some great bang-for-your-buck products.

If you google it... you can find the 'RadarTest' shootout for under 100bucks, with the E795, and 2 whistlers (The 35 and the 30).

It certianly won't give you the range that your Vector 895 does, but its better then nothing.

Professional

I had the SRT-30R (my first RD) and like stated it does the job and does give warning in time and not a bad RD for the price. It will give you enough time to slow down etc. but if you want peace of mind you'd have to go with one of the Pro series from Whistler from Roy. I wouldn't do more than 10 over with the SRT-30R to be honest.

Old Timer

Default response

Zookybeans, that is the one I bought last friday. It's a decent rd.

Power User

I've a friend with this detector and from our informal road-testing (i.e. cruising around in a known cop-infested area) the performance is noticeably less than the 1793SE especially on Ka, but nontheless it's

(1) way more sensitive than my backup cobra XRS9400, which I've found can at times be simply deaf to Ka band
    (2) plenty for one to react and slow down, though it does demand a slightly more rushed response than my 1793, where I can often have time to wait a few seconds to see if it's a cobra-false or not

Definitely for its price (both on sale and even ordinary price) it's a very respectable detector and still holds practical value.

Old Timer

Default well

Well, at least your Whister 1793 is doing it's job!