Default Whistler 1733 is it a good first buy?

i am a young boy in a small town in kansas. i drive a 01 ranger with an aftermarket exhast. lately the cops have been liking me a little bit more if that aint hard to figure out. our house is the house of the town with all the loud cars. i have been thinking of getting a radar for a while. i have been looking for one around $50 at first i knew someone around here and they said to get a rocky mountain but i looked them up and everyone said they sucked so i kept looking. i finally came across the whistle 1733. i could only find one review and they said it was good for the price. i am just wondering if anyone else think that this would be a good investment. if not what is a better one around $50. thanks.

Power User

For about $50 that whistler will be your best bet, but even at that the range it gives might be tight... for one you'll want to have a knee-jerk reaction every time the detector alerts if you want to be able to respond in time...

I highly recommend dishing out a bit more money for the Pro-58, which will give you more adequate protection. It's still priced very reasonably.

$50 is pretty little to pay for a detector, and you'll be really sacrificing yourself.

Radar Fanatic

The 1733 isn't that loud, so if you're got loud exhaust, it's not going to be all that useful.

yeah i started doing some more research and found that it looks like the 1734 is a little better. would you say that that would be a better one

Power User

Perhaps it's a bit better, I'm not sure about the specific difference between those two models.

Is the pro-58 out of your price range? That would be a very significant improvement over the 173x series.

Professional

Save a little more cash and go for the PRO series.
    You will be glad that you did.

ok thanks a bunch. i'm going to save up some more and get the pro

i bought a 1733 about 2 months ago, and didn't keep it. Radars were detected almost at the time the picture was being shot, so quite useless...
    I'm in France, it may be different in Texas; i hope so

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by happy_arnaud
    i bought a 1733 about 2 months ago, and didn't keep it. Radars were detected almost at the time the picture was being shot, so quite useless...
    I'm in France, it may be different in Texas; i hope so
    Given that I usually hear high-end Bel or V-1's recommended for photo radar, I doubt this detector (arguably the cheapest one you can buy) would offer you any protection from that!

Also, given that my backup Cobra XRS-9400 can detect most types of radar from a adequate distance for me to react, I would expect this Whistler to do better.

It's certainly better than nothing but I feel a heck of a lot safer with my 1793SE.... And since nowadays there's the Pro-58 with equal detection as Whistler's most expensive units but at a fraction of the price, that IMO is the best bargain.