Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question involving PRO 73 and Laser

I currently own a Pro 73 mounted in the middle of my windshield (horizontally and vertically) and it works perfect for radar. Well I saw a local motorcycle cop setting up on the side of the road, opposite direction, so I decided to make a u-turn at the next stop light to test the range on my RD. I'm headed toward the LEO and I'm the only car in the area. I see him aiming his gun at me and my Pro 73 is silent. He hits me like 6 or 7 times and my RD is silent the whole time. I'm almost positive he was shooting laser since he was shooting me from pretty far away.

My main question is if I had my RD mounted a bit lower, would it have probably picked up the laser when he was shooting me, or is there something wrong with my Pro 73. It's reletively new; I got it for Christmas and it's in nearly perfect condition. Thanks

BTW: I drive a '97 Honda CRV if that helps at all

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Question involving PRO 73 and Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened
    I currently own a Pro 73 mounted in the middle of my windshield (horizontally and vertically) and it works perfect for radar. Well I saw a local motorcycle cop setting up on the side of the road, opposite direction, so I decided to make a u-turn at the next stop light to test the range on my RD. I'm headed toward the LEO and I'm the only car in the area. I see him aiming his gun at me and my Pro 73 is silent. He hits me like 6 or 7 times and my RD is silent the whole time. I'm almost positive he was shooting laser since he was shooting me from pretty far away.

My main question is if I had my RD mounted a bit lower, would it have probably picked up the laser when he was shooting me, or is there something wrong with my Pro 73. It's reletively new; I got it for Christmas and it's in nearly perfect condition. Thanks

BTW: I drive a '97 Honda CRV if that helps at all
    ideally lower mounting position is better for laser...... higher for radar..... no one knows if you would have picked up the laser beam or not.... but chances are good you would have but cant say for sure

Stealthcb

Depends on where he shot you. If he hit a surface that doesn't scatter the light toward your lens, you won't pick it up at all.

Police aims laser at the license plate or headlight. It not surprising the RD didn't go off at all. Imagine using a laser pointer, how far do you need to go before the beam is actually wide enough to cover your detector + the plate?

If laser is in used heavily like we do in Vancouver. Consider getting the laser counter-measure, the jam rate although is about 90%, as long as the cops are not using UltraLyte guns, you should be ok.

I have Veil and laser diffuser in my lights/plate.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by killer23d
    Police aims laser at the license plate or headlight. It not surprising the RD didn't go off at all. Imagine using a laser pointer, how far do you need to go before the beam is actually wide enough to cover your detector + the plate?

If laser is in used heavily like we do in Vancouver. Consider getting the laser counter-measure, the jam rate although is about 90%, as long as the cops are not using UltraLyte guns, you should be ok.

I have Veil and laser diffuser in my lights/plate.
    yeah, as long as a laser jammer is legal, it's probably worth the money. The chance of ANY radar detector saving you from laser is almost nil.

Power User

Don't be at all surprised if ANY detector fails to alert to laser despite being a direct target -- if the officer was shooting with the intent to be undetected (i.e. careful aiming) it's extremely likely that this will be the case.

Yea maybe he noticed my RD or something. Anyways I can't get a laser jammer because I live in California. I'll just have to be alot more careful and possibly get VEIL or something. Thanks for the help.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by "Stealthcb
    The chance of ANY radar detector saving you from laser is almost nil.
    i have had plenty of saves from laser from both the X50 and the V1.... i dont go over the PSL by 10 so its considered saves to me

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-Tweezy
    i have had plenty of saves from laser from both the X50 and the V1.... i dont go over the PSL by 10 so its considered saves to me
    Dude consider yourself very lucky because from my laser experiences there were several times where I spotted the cop, slowed down, and when I was like 50ft from him he zapped me with laser. No head warning. Had this been at night or with an unmarked cruiser I'd been toast.

Don't trust your detector to warn you about laser.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear-Tweezy
    Dude consider yourself very lucky because from my laser experiences there were several times where I spotted the cop, slowed down, and when I was like 50ft from him he zapped me with laser. No head warning. Had this been at night or with an unmarked cruiser I'd been toast.

Don't trust your detector to warn you about laser.
    i do trust the V1 to warn me of laser... i did the X50 until it started missing laser shots.......