Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Whistler Pro-58 Falses on Ka

Hey,
    I'm new to the world of radar detection, but I thought that Ka band was always a cop and never a false alert. Now I get Ka band alerts easily every other time I go out driving. Whether it be on the road, in a parking lot, etc where there is definitely no cop around. On a wide open road with nobody even remotely near me, i've had it go off at a 9 strength. Is this normal? Are there falses on Ka?

Pardon my newbieness

Good Citizen

Yep, ka falses happen.

Stealthcb

Default Re: Whistler Pro-58 Falses on Ka

Quote Originally Posted by Spect2K
    Hey,
    I'm new to the world of radar detection, but I thought that Ka band was always a cop and never a false alert. Now I get Ka band alerts easily every other time I go out driving. Whether it be on the road, in a parking lot, etc where there is definitely no cop around. On a wide open road with nobody even remotely near me, i've had it go off at a 9 strength. Is this normal? Are there falses on Ka?

Pardon my newbieness
    The Ka band falses I get on my Pro 73 are almost always from one of 3 sources:

1. Other RDs (Crapras)
    2. Airports
    3. Confusing of K-band signals

I get a VERY strong Ka band signal going through a construction site in Castle Rock, CO. I think it's either a cop at the justice center near there or a safety radar at the construction site.

Speed Demon

The PRO58 and 73 have excellent detection range but have SERIOUS problems misinterpreting bands.

Just slow down whenever you have the ramping up of any signal. With those whistlers, you can pretty much ignore what band it says, because most likely it's wrong. Disable VG-2 trap detection, POP, and X band for less mixups. (assuming you don't need any)

I agree, the Whistler has lots of "mistakes" in determining the correct band. My older Bel has no issues with this, most automatic doors are K Band. As I am using my Pro-58, it see the same door as X, K, or Ka...

So... the changing bands on the Pro-58, is it a problem or is there a fix?

Old Timer

I'm going to go test the Pro-58 I just got today. My initial short test run had me very confused. I would get all these X warnings, then a full blast on K on a known K band speed sign. Then some Ka with a signal strength of 2. I'll get some more testing in a little bit, now that I prrgrammed all the settings in.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    I'll get some more testing in a little bit, now that I prrgrammed all the settings in.
    I, too, found some minor band confusion with both the 73 and the 58, however not as bad as some of you are experiencing. Simply configuring both of my RD's for my area helped out a lot though! Hopefully you will notice the same.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by killer23d
    I agree, the Whistler has lots of "mistakes" in determining the correct band. My older Bel has no issues with this, most automatic doors are K Band. As I am using my Pro-58, it see the same door as X, K, or Ka...

So... the changing bands on the Pro-58, is it a problem or is there a fix?
    I asked Whistler about this. There is no fix.

I only notice the misidentification issues with door openers and non-radar sources. And they almost never ramp up, so they're easy to ignore.

I actually emailed Whistler, they said I can send the unit back to them and they can re-tune the unit.

But I don't see a reason to send it in yet.

Newcomer

Honestly, the biggest problem that I see is that you can't trust which band it is alerting you to. When you're getting an alert (or at least me), it can be any of the bands it seems. Now yea, I can just slow down to be safe, sure, but I leave it on City 1, so what if it is reading the Ka alert as a X band this time?...its not going to alert me until 6 or so.