ES13Raven

Default Got the Whistler Pro 58

Well.... I ended up getting a good deal on the Whistler Pro 58 for $74.99 8)

It has a real sexy look to it. I have only used it for 2 days but here is what I have noticed so far:

Pros:
    Looks
    Intense Blue Display at Night
    Comes with a hard-wired kit too
    Not as many falses as my last RD
    Like the 3 different City modes

Cons:
    Intense Blue Display hard to see if sun is shining on it
    Volume doesn't go as loud as I would like (I like the radio loud though)

More to come as I use it. :wink:

Old Timer

How is the sensitivity?

ES13Raven

I just got it, and haven't had a chance to really test it yet.

I was on the highway for about 3 hours today, on a highway known for having CHP, and didn't get lit up once. :roll:

I post a more in-depth report in a few weeks. 8)

Professional

hahahah sound like me, I get a new pro58 and now I have no luck in finding any LEOs to test it with.

It's not fair!! when you want them you can not find them but when you are in a hurry they are all over the place!

I hope to be able to give my reviews on the pro58 as well.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    hahahah sound like me, I get a new pro58 and now I have no luck in finding any LEOs to test it with.

It's not fair!! when you want them you can not find them but when you are in a hurry they are all over the place!

I hope to be able to give my reviews on the pro58 as well.
    Sounds like me when I got my blinder. I drove around for 2 weeks on the highways trying to find troopers, and when I did they were doing paperwork or not running laser

these are 2 encounters i just had with my pro 58

last friday i picked up an officer shooting radar about 2 miles away using constant on Ka band.

Then on saturday, i picked up an officer 0.8th of a mile away using instant on k band in a very congested area (city+traffic) so i think the warning was pretty good.

Good Citizen

Default pro-73

that's pretty promising, I have an order put in for a pro 73 (same as 58 in detection), and am looking forward, to using it, I'll foresure post a nice review on this forum after I've had it for a little while.

ES13Raven

Pro-58 Review Update

If you hard-wire your 58 and mount it near the center/top of the windshield, you get a better all-around expereince with it.
    • *You no longer have the issue with not being able to see the Intense Blue display in direct sunlight
      *It is now out of sight of LEOs and theives
      *If you have the blue tint strip at the top of your windshield, the 58 is now shaded from the sun without loss of radar detection
      *You get slightly better range
      *You never have to take it down or hide it
      *It does not get in the way of a sun shade
    Run City-2 mode with auto-quiet on and you will love this detector!

In another post I put this:

I have had my Pro 58 for a few months now, and I have a better opinion on it based on falses and being lit up by several LEOs...

My opinion now is that you cannot beat the Whistler Pro 58 for the money. Are the $400+ detectors a little better? Yes, but they are not 5x better and do not justify 5x the price.

The only falses I get are known automatic door sensors on the K and Ka band. I know when I drive through Best Buy/Target/CompUSA parking lot, that I am going to get a 6-9 strength reading on K and Ka.

Other falses I get are from people with Cobra and other poorly designed detectors. I followed a guy the other day who had a Cobra in the middle of his windshield. He was giving me falses of 3-4 strength on the Ka band. When I stopped following him, the falses went away.

As far as other people getting falses with the 58, I think it depends on where you live and what things are causing the falses in your area. Get to know your area, and learn where falses are always going to be. Otherwise it is normally another driver in the area with a Cobra or other poorly designed detector.

The Pro 58 has saved my butt on numerous occasions, and has definitely paid for itself. I get early warnings on a straight road even before I could see the CHP.

Definitely the best bang for the buck 8)

Professional

City mode 2 is the same as higway mode but with X band shut off.
    That is the only difference. If you are falsing with K or KA City mode 2 is not going to help with that.

Yes this unit does need to be mounted high it does help the detection especially KA band.

The problem with the falsing is yes you should know your area and where it is going to go off but what is going to happen is a LEO is going to be in one of those areas some time and you are going to ignore it and possibly get a ticket.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion, thankfully I had my V1 on at the same time and I knew that there really was radar there.
    My PRO58 would always false there and the V1 did not and if I had not had the V1 on as well I would have just ignored the threat thinking it was just the normal falsing I get everyday.

I have had serveral K and KA falses out on the interstate with no one around me for miles and nothing but corn fields and wide open land.

This gets to be bad as well because after a while people will tend to ignore these alerts because it falses so much and then when it does detect a real alert you will just ignore it thinking it is just another false alert.

For the money yes the detector is a good unit and in most cases will give you plenty of time to respond to a real threat.

But at the same time there is a difference between a $100 unit and a $300- $400 unit. The extra expense is worth it to me!

Think about it this way if I would have just relied on the PRO58 in the situation above I could have very well been caught for speeding so my $100 unit would ended up costing me as much as buying a higher end model.
    $100 for detector
    $150 or more for ticket.
    $100 or more per year on insurance
    Based on these numbers alone and I would bet my ballpark costs on a ticket or insurance is on the low side I now have spent $350 on a $100 unit.
    For $350 you can buy any of the big 3 out there.

I understand some people can not afford that kind of money on a radar detector and that is why there are detectors like the PRO series out there.
    It provides them with some protection in most cases, and some protection is better than no protection.

When I am asked for opinions by my friends and co workers what unit should they buy and do not want to spend a lot on a detector I will recomend the Whislter PRO series if they want something new.