Newcomer

Default Whistler 1788 detects NOTHING... is mine broken?

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to radar detectors so maybe someone can help me out.

I've had my Whistler 1788 for 2 months and it has never really detected anything. I am in PA where only state troopers on state highways can legally use radar. I have traveled the PA turnpike a number of times in my 2 months of ownership and I have gone by many state troopers and those electronic speed signs that tell you what your speed is, and I have had maybe one alert the whole time.

Is this normal? It will pick up what I have deemed "phantom" K-band alerts a lot, but they never go beyond 1 on the alert level and never when a trooper or one of those signs is in the vicinity. Same with Ka and Pulse, but much fewer alerts. Rarely a VG-2. Never an X-band or Laser alert.

I'm just worried that it isn't working. My friends 5 year old detector goes off on not only the same state troopers I drive by, but those electronic speed signs and automatic doors, etc. well before he gets to them, which makes me think mine is fubar. And I know it's not my windshield or placement since his detector worked fine in my car in the same location I place mine.

Any thoughts?

Old Timer

So it doesn't go off with any automatic doors?

Maybe the troopers use instant on and you weren't going fast enough to catch the troopers' attention.

VG-2 shouldn't really go off since I doubt the use that in PA.

Or maybe your Whistler is broken and needs repair

Newcomer

I thought so too, but his picks up a signal 1/2 to 1/4 a mile before he passes the trooper.

The thing that really has me worried is the electronic speed detecting signs and automatic doors... his lights up and beeps like crazy on X-band on both of those. Never a peep from mine.

Barring any revelations from other users, I guess I will send it in for service since it's under warranty... the unit has good reviews from what I can tell, so I'm guessing I just got a dud.

Radar Fanatic

Is the 1788 a cordless unit.

Stealthcb

Default Re: Whistler 1788 detects NOTHING... is mine broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Tachion
    I'm just worried that it isn't working. My friends 5 year old detector goes off on not only the same state troopers I drive by, but those electronic speed signs and automatic doors, etc. well before he gets to them, which makes me think mine is fubar. And I know it's not my windshield or placement since his detector worked fine in my car in the same location I place mine.

Any thoughts?
    This is what makes me think it's FUBAR. I would try this:

Drive by a known source (speed signs are GREAT) first with his, then with yours. If his alerts and yours doesn't, send yours in for repair.

Old Timer

Default welcome

Welcome to the board newcomers. Have you reset your Whistler to see if that helps?

Also make sure you don't have City 2 mode selected, which turns off X-band (which would therefore cause the RD not to detect those automatic doors and speed signs since your friends RD alerts them as X-band).

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Tsax444
    Is the 1788 a cordless unit.
    Yes, it is cordless.

I had one and it went off at doors and speed signs and security at schools. I believe that it isn't working right. I mean, if you don't pick up speed signs and doors, something is wrong.

Great suggestion about making sure that X band isn't off.

Good Citizen

Well I have a 1788 and it picks up everything. Make sure you dont have all the bands on, turn off the safety warning as well as vg-2 and pop you will not need those. This will improve range on the existing bands. Also make sure you dont have the backlight off and auto mute on. That will cause for one you not able to see the alert or hear it past one bar.

Make sure its mounted level, pointing to the sky or pointing to the hood isnt good and wont pick up radar easy nor laser.

Ps- If you know they only use radar, turn off laser.