Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Mounting it right ?????

Hey guys -

According to Radar Roy you should NOT mount your detector behind your RVM or high at all. My vehicle is low factory, but not lowered. I am shorter than most average cars by a few inches. Like most 350Z for example. I mounted my 73 center windshield just a few small inches above the dash to clear the windshield wipers. Bent the brack in a little to have to fire straight out the windshield. I look at it from the front and it looks perfect. Not aiming down or up just straight. I am concerned about Laser, because Roy said keep it low for best laser detection.

Is this the ideal location???

If so why do allot of people on this forum mount their detectors so darn high on the windshield???

PS: I live in a wealthy county for cops, and there are allot of Laser/Lidar detector useage around here!!!! (Broward and Dade County) Ft. Lauderdale and Miami,FL area.

Pembroke Pines: LTI UltraLyte
    BSO: Stalker LZ-1
    State: ProLaser III

Radar Fanatic

I myself mount mine above the RVM, you get greater range also you are more likly to pick up laser scatter......

HAve you tried mounting it high?

plus regaurdless you aren't going to get very good laser detection.

Good Citizen

Funny enough I think I have mounted and remounted just about every square inch of my center windshield!!!

I keep moving it. I honestly have been missing the boys in blue lately. Their schedule is usually stronger in the beginning of the month than near the end.

My city is a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale,FL and out here every darn light has a K alert, because of the camera's and I believe they are controlled somehow by radar. I am not for sure though. I had it high and then medium high and now low.

I think I will bring it up some more and just leave it at half for now. Like you said if it's laser pray!!!! :roll:

Good Citizen

Well for my travels to Orlando,FL , I got hit on I-95 between St.Augustines and Palm Coast area. I ran the Valentine (known for excellent Laser pickup), I was either hit twice or picked up scatter then hit. Also I am running the Blinder M-20, unknown if he was jammed or not. My detector was mounted on the Passenger side of the RVM in my Saturn which is lower by 2" from factory.

As for the Traffic Lights, I noticed in the Orlando area, they are running X band pickups and not K band. I had to turn off X band detection, though someone on the forum stated that in FL county area not sure which ran X band, fixed the crazy X band problem. I had a 1793se, which near Strip Malls that ran X band would alert as K band.

Stealthcb

I have a Pro-73 that is mounted JUST below the RVM in the center of the windshield. I get excellent range for radar this way, and haven't noticed any lack of alert for laser....

Good Citizen

"Thanks" for the post boys. I really need some REAL hit's to find out where I stand. It's too soon to tell. I have only owned the 73 for a few weeks. I am a little disappointed in it's performance in the GOL 07' shootout, but I am going to stick with it for now it had some hard competition. Looking at the V955 was amazing for price point.. Nevertheless I am going to raise it to just about half way up the windshield and center. I know it's a reliable unit regardless the shootout results.

I need to leave it alone. It's a new toy and I am a touchy,feely kinda guy. Pretty funny that I found my zipped pleather case from my old (retired) Bel 946 and the 73 fits inside nicely. This saves me from buying a case.

Do you think it's a crime to own a Whistler in a Beltronic's case??? :?: :twisted:

Later Guys~~

Stealthcb

Yeah, just give it some time. I think you'll love it.

Old Timer

Speaking solely of laser:

The problem is a rather complicated one....

As you've cited yourself, one has to consider not only vehicle "height," but also absolute height from roadway (as there can be significant suspension differences between various models of the same vehicle, discounting completely altered/aftermarket suspension setups).

Additionally, to further complicate things, it also stands to reason that while a low-mount would likely give you best-odds against a hit directly to your vehicle's center-mass (either that or the front plate are typically the chief enforcement points), this scenario necessarily would also carry a high risk of your being "toast" when your detector warns.

With a high-mount, the assumption is that you'll get some scatter and/or "splatter" either "through" or even "over" vehicles in front of you - but this ability will depend largely on circumstance, as well as will be affected tremendously by the capabilities of your detector in terms of laser detection.

This is a hard compromise to make - you unfortunately must figure out what you think would be most beneficial to your protection needs.

Old Timer

Default mounting

Mounting it halfway between the RVM and the dash works well too. This way, you get the best of both worlds, high for radar and low for laser.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    With a high-mount, the assumption is that you'll get some scatter and/or "splatter" either "through" or even "over" vehicles in front of you - but this ability will depend largely on circumstance, as well as will be affected tremendously by the capabilities of your detector in terms of laser detection.

This is a hard compromise to make - you unfortunately must figure out what you think would be most beneficial to your protection needs.
    It wasn't such a hard decision for me. I knew that getting a direct laser hit meant NOTHING. Just means I'm getting a ticket if I'm speeding. So I mounted high, hoping to capitalize on splatter/scatter. And guess what? I got a save that way.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...ro++laser+save