Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Sensitivity in db for Pro-78 and XTR 690?

Michael B,

Do you have a break down of the sensitivity in db for the Pro-78 and XTR 690? I was wondering what those numbers look like compared to the Belscorts and V1.

Thanks,

CC

Speed Demon

Sorry I am not sure if db is how you measure the sensitivity of a RD? But, I am looking for a comparison of sensitivity by band and model. I know you broke down the sensitivity once before on the V1, RX65, X50, etc. I am hoping you have something similar for the new Whistlers. Thanks!

Manufacturer

I had only done a comparison on the V1, RX65, X50, etc because everyone wanted to know who had THE MOST SENSITIVE BRAND.

While the more sensitive unit should have a slight advantage in the field, that does not always happen due to a variety of reasons.

With that said, the Pro78 and XTR-690 were improved and designed to give you more than 5 miles of warning on a flat and straight roadway on X, K, and Ka bands.

In a chamber db game, the V1, STi, RX65 and X50 will win over the Whistler but in the real world tests I have done, the differences did not amount to much and on average did favor the V1, STi, RX65 and X50.

Talk to those that purchased a Pro78 or XTR-690 and get their opinion.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    I had only done a comparison on the V1, RX65, X50, etc because everyone wanted to know who had THE MOST SENSITIVE BRAND.

While the more sensitive unit should have a slight advantage in the field, that does not always happen due to a variety of reasons.

With that said, the Pro78 and XTR-690 were improved and designed to give you more than 5 miles of warning on a flat and straight roadway on X, K, and Ka bands.

In a chamber db game, the V1, STi, RX65 and X50 will win over the Whistler but in the real world tests I have done, the differences did not amount to much and on average did favor the V1, STi, RX65 and X50.

Sounds like Whistlers were made for Florida Well, except for the trees that line the road (they relfect radar, don't they?)

Speed Demon

Well I understand that the other top end RD's might have better numbers in a lab setting, but I am also taking into account the price range, or bang for the buck of the Pro78/XTR-690.

I've read the top end RD's provide 10 miles of detection range. With all things equal, would the new Whistlers have about the same performance?

I didn't mean to put you on the defense. I know from what I have read on the forums that the new Pro-78 seems like a great RD. I just wondered how close the numbers were to the high end and more costly units.

Thanks,

CC

Manufacturer

Unfortunatley I do not know of a 10 mile straight and flat stretch of road in which to test them.

Last year Carl Fors had the Whistler XTR-325 and XTR-560 at 9+miles for X and K and 7.6 to 7.7 miles on Ka.

What I can tell you about the Pro78 and XTR-690 is that they are on average 10db more sensitive than the XTR-325 and XTR-560 at Ka.

Technically that should provide more than 2 times the distance but the real world is not in a vacuum and 2 times the 7.7 mile distance is unreasonable to consider.

Having said that, It is likely that the Pro78 and XTR-690 will achieve the same 9 mile mark as the V1, STi, RX65, and X50 in Carl Fors long range test this summer.

Speed Demon

Unfortunatley I do not know of a 10 mile straight and flat stretch of road in which to test them.

Last year Carl Fors had the Whistler XTR-325 and XTR-560 at 9+miles for X and K and 7.6 to 7.7 miles on Ka.

What I can tell you about the Pro78 and XTR-690 is that they are on average 10db more sensitive than the XTR-325 and XTR-560 at Ka.

Technically that should provide more than 2 times the distance but the real world is not in a vacuum and 2 times the 7.7 mile distance is unreasonable to consider.

Having said that, It is likely that the Pro78 and XTR-690 will achieve the same 9 mile mark as the V1, STi, RX65, and X50 in Carl Fors long range test this summer.
    Thanks for the response Michael B. What is primarily the limiting factor of the 10+ mile mark for detectors? Is it simply in the design i.e. horn size of the RD that limits it's range? Or, is it environmental factors such as the curvature of the earth, weather, etc that limit range?

Manufacturer

The curvature of the earth will cause loss of direct line of site as early as 2 to 3 miles.

If your detector is placed 3ft from the road surface and the police radar is also placed at 3ft from the road surface, they will lose direct sigt in approx 2 miles

The same detector and radar placed at 6ft from the road surface will lose direct sight at approx 3 miles.

A sensitive radar detector does not need direct line of sight to detect and therefore can detect signals that are beyond line of sight.

Elements in the air (dust and moisture) also contribute to loss making conditions not perfect, but realistic as these are the conditions that we face in every day life.

Stealthcb

I have never owned any of the "Top Five" RDs, so I can't compare the 78 to any of them, but I CAN compare it to my Pro-73.

1. The 78 falses LESS. MUCH less than the 73. The filter settings really do work. I use FILTER2 for now, but will cut back to FILTER1 soon to test that.

2. K-band range (1-2db sensitivity increase, per Michael B) seems to be a good bit better than my 73. Door openers that I didn't pick up at all with the 73 I now pick up at .3-.4 miles away. That's pretty significant, and in road tests I generally picked up significant additional warning against YOUR SPEED signs.

3. Ka-band I haven't been able to fully test. So far only one encounter, but the 78 gave me 90-degree off-boresight warning a half mile away (probably reflected off other vehicles). That's something the 73 NEVER did. I would be lucky to get .3 or .2 if the Ka wasn't within about 20-deg of boresight with my antenna. That's a huge improvement, if it holds true in future encounters.

4. PULSE mode is better and seems to be more accurate with the 78.

Hope that helps.

CANINE

can you please answer the db question. what is the 78 and 690 numbers