Newcomer

Default Whistler 1744 Review...

I just bought a Whistler 1744 from Wally World to replace my faultering Beltronics Express 925. In our city, Oregon, OH, laser has become very prevalent with the combination of city police, county mounties, and OSHP patroling Route 2.

Laser Detection

I have had the unit two days and have recieved three valid laser alerts, that is compared to the two alerts I recieved from two YEARS of the Bel unit(Both of them being mounted on the windshield). Range is decent and gave me adequate time to slow down.

Modes

The unit has four operating modes: Highway mode, City mode(standard filtering), City One mode(Increased X-band filtering), and City Two mode(Complete filtering of the X-band). City Two mode is ideal for most people, but for traveling in Ohio, be forwarned that the Ohio Highway Patrol still use this radar band occasionally.

Features

The unit features the Safety Warning System(proven useless for me), a Stay Alert feature which will remind you every half-hour through beeps on the radar, a dim mode for night driving, and a progressive system which detects multiple threats and selects the most dangerous(In Order: Laser/Ka/K/X).

Falsing

I haven't noticed many falses on this detector if the proper bands are used in the proper areas. This is leaps and bounds ahead ofthe filtering on the Express 925.

Price

<-- Link to competitor removed - Sethy -->

Conclusion

For this price I would highly recommend this unit, be aware what this unit lacks: POP support, multiple threat display, and a text display. These features are great to have, but for a no fuss radar detector that performs great and comes with a nice pricetag, you can't go wrong with Whistler!

Newcomer

Link removed - Sethy, that is the only place you can get this detector, it is a model number designated for that store only, if roy would have had it, I certainly would have gotten it from him, and in turn would have linked to him...

Old Timer

I dont know what to say on that one, I have to follow the rules of the board :?

On a lighter note, good review

Lead Foot

The Whistler 1744 is the Whistler 1743, same internals but exclusive branding sort of how APEX was when it was sold by walmart and then by circuitcity.

This review reminds me to post my final results on the whistler 1743, but I haven't taken it down to replace my x50 yet (gasps) its a pretty good unit except it does false more often here than probably whre you are. I'll post my final review on my now 3 1/2 week trial of the 1743.