Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Founder of Stealthvation

Default Pro 78 vs Laser 6/9/07

Today while on the highway on my way to work I got blaster with laser (Pro Laser III) at less then 500' just as I am turning the corner. The Pro 78 alerted me which is impressive since the beam is so little at less than 500'. My LPP's jammed the hell out of him and the Pro 78 alerted the entire time. I have had two laser encounters with the Pro 78 and it has alerted me EVERY TIME. I would rank its laser detection as good as the X50. Is there anything this Pro 78 can not do? It does everything well. IMO it is the Scottie Pippen of radar detectors. It does not do anything excellent but everything good. VERY SOLID!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Lead Foot

Where is your 78 mounted...high or low? That is impressive at 500'! I would think the beam at that distance would be very concentrated, unless the officer had a case of the shakes!!

Founder of Stealthvation

Mounted on my visor. I say I was lasered at about 300'. It was VERY impressive

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

just wait till you get your first whistler laser scatter save then you will be falling off your seat. One time I got a laser alert around a curve just as you barley complete the curve their was the leo. This was of course was in the city. Their where cars infront of me as well as rounding the corner which probably made the laser scatter and bounce quite a bit. The total amount of stop time was 3 seconds before I saw the leo. Another situation I had I got .1 mile warning. I was traveling down the highway and I get a laser alert. I though it was a false at first but still I came on the break pretty quick. Well just as I was coming up a hill their was a Leo shooting laser. As I came up on him he finally gave me a direct hit. He was hard to spot to as he was hiding behind a elevated guard rail.

Laser is one thing whistler is really good at. I have always found it amazing at just how close distances whistler will keep on alerting laser to.
    One more thing about laser traps. Laser is pretty easy to defeat minus a laser jammer yes a laser jammer is nice to have. But you can eliiminate about 95% of laser traps by not going anymore then 5 over around a sweping curve or a sizable hill. Laser depends on the element of surprise you take that element out then laser is useless. Try if you can to leave somebody infront of you. If you see them slam on their brake around a corner or hill then a leo could be around that corner. Using laser on long flat straights strongly increases your chance of picking up the laser beam far away and actually getting a fair amount of warning. I have been in many situations where this has been the case. Plus if you have decent enough vision you can see far enough out to pretty much do and eye sweep of the road. Besides I wouldn't speed around corners and hills because their is always the threat of IO even a radar detector wont help you then. Dont believe me on what I just wrote read the posts on this forum about laser hits and see what they wrote about the terrain before they saw the leo.

Experienced

happy, what are you using to mount to your visor?

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by pronacyk
    Visor bracket part number 202138 of Whistler's website. There are SO MANY advantages mounting high such as better line of sight AND it keeps out of the sun when it is mounted on the visor. No worrying about the detector getting too hot

buyradardetectors rocks!

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Visor bracket part number 202138 of Whistler's website. There are SO MANY advantages mounting high such as better line of sight AND it keeps out of the sun when it is mounted on the visor. No worrying about the detector getting too hot
    What kind of car is it mounted in? That's a really good laser pickup being that high unless you're driving a Fiero.

Founder of Stealthvation

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthcb
    Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    What kind of car is it mounted in? That's a really good laser pickup being that high unless you're driving a Fiero.
    Honda Civic

buyradardetectors rocks!

I have always mounted high which for me is slightly below the rear view mirror. This get the detector up high enough that it can see through other cars windshield. Hence better pickup on both laser and radar. When you mount low all the detector can see is the other cars bumper what kind of field of view is that.

Stealthcb

I have mine right under the RVM. If I visor-mounted it, the tint strip along the top edge would (and has)blocked laser.