Speed Demon

Default XTR-690 / Potential or POS

i just recieved my new 690. keep in mind that i only bought it for kicks.
    my first thought was - "its no wonder they can sell it so cheap - look at the packaging." anyways - i take the unit out of the plastic casing and start reading the instructions. i go to take the suction cups out of the little plastic bag and low and behold somebody stapled one of them to the bag. no big deal right? except now it wont stick to the windshield. okay - no problem - a small piece of clear tape will fix that. lets put it on the windshield - oh wait a minute - i have to bend this thing d*** near in half to get it level. okay - unit is mounted and level now - lets go for a ride.
    i didnt get out of the driveway before my new "bobble head" starts going nuts all over the place. every bump etc this thing is dancin'. surely you can do better than this. so off i go to the eckerds down the street. every detector ive had picks up the door openers. not this one - not even a beep. okay - now im kinda worried - why did i buy this thing. so off to I85 south of atlanta where a major construction project is ongoing with lots of your speed is signs along the route. im running about 70 approaching my favorite sign and sure enough it picks it up at around .7 miles. the only problem is it alerts as an x band alert instead of K band. now im thinking that maybe something is out of wack - i mean ive checked this same sign 100 times with my other units and i know its a k band sign. so i go up and exit and turn around for another try. again - x band. so i unplug the 690 and turn my v1 back on and go for another try. sure enough it comes up K as usual and at almost 1.3 miles. i know its not gonna compare with the valentine but for god sake - could it even work like its supposed to?
    needless to say - you'll be seeing this P>O>S back at whistler asap. i truly hope the customer service is what everybody says it is or ill throw this thing in the trash and whistler wont ever have to worry about me again.

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: XTR-690 / Potential or POS

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDawg19
    i just recieved my new 690. keep in mind that i only bought it for kicks.
    my first thought was - "its no wonder they can sell it so cheap - look at the packaging." anyways - i take the unit out of the plastic casing and start reading the instructions. i go to take the suction cups out of the little plastic bag and low and behold somebody stapled one of them to the bag. no big deal right? except now it wont stick to the windshield. okay - no problem - a small piece of clear tape will fix that. lets put it on the windshield - oh wait a minute - i have to bend this thing d*** near in half to get it level. okay - unit is mounted and level now - lets go for a ride.
    i didnt get out of the driveway before my new "bobble head" starts going nuts all over the place. every bump etc this thing is dancin'. surely you can do better than this. so off i go to the eckerds down the street. every detector ive had picks up the door openers. not this one - not even a beep. okay - now im kinda worried - why did i buy this thing. so off to I85 south of atlanta where a major construction project is ongoing with lots of your speed is signs along the route. im running about 70 approaching my favorite sign and sure enough it picks it up at around .7 miles. the only problem is it alerts as an x band alert instead of K band. now im thinking that maybe something is out of wack - i mean ive checked this same sign 100 times with my other units and i know its a k band sign. so i go up and exit and turn around for another try. again - x band. so i unplug the 690 and turn my v1 back on and go for another try. sure enough it comes up K as usual and at almost 1.3 miles. i know its not gonna compare with the valentine but for god sake - could it even work like its supposed to?
    needless to say - you'll be seeing this P>O>S back at whistler asap. i truly hope the customer service is what everybody says it is or ill throw this thing in the trash and whistler wont ever have to worry about me again.
    Was it picking up any other band prior to picking up the K band speed sign?
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Manufacturer

Send it directly to me.....I PM'ed you the info

Speed Demon

Happy - there were no other signals present. according to my v1 anyway(for what thats worth.)

Michael B - it'll be on the way to you monday. ill try to take some video footage and send it along to.

i really hate it when things go down hill so fast. i guess im more disappointed than anything. its not about the money or anything but the suction cup thing kinda started it all. bad day getting worse every minute!

Founder of Stealthvation

Happy - there were no other signals present. according to my v1 anyway(for what thats worth.)

Michael B - it'll be on the way to you monday. ill try to take some video footage and send it along to.

i really hate it when things go down hill so fast. i guess im more disappointed than anything. its not about the money or anything but the suction cup thing kinda started it all. bad day getting worse every minute!
    Weird my experiences have been STELLAR

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$

Weird my experiences have been STELLAR
    As have mine. http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=26731

Very strange indeed.

I do agree about the RD bouncing around alot on the windshield. Michael--does this affect the RD at all?

Manufacturer

I understand your frustration. Sorry for the bad day, I will make it right.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    I understand your frustration. Sorry for the bad day, I will make it right.
    Reminds me of a girl I once knew....

Founder of Stealthvation

Another thing that I must warn of all potential buyers of the Pro 78/690. If you are buying this detector hoping that you will get STI and V1 like performance then you will be disappointed. Buy it knowing that you will get a detector that will not break your wallet, give you rich features, Customer Support from Mike B. is INCREDIBLE, and gives you enough time to slow down. If you buy it with this mindset you will be very happy. Remember people a V1 and an STI cost three times more than a Pro 78/690. TRUST me when I tell you those will NOT give you three times better performance in the real world. I speak from experience

buyradardetectors rocks!