Lead Foot

Default Pro78 (Forward facing K-band)

Yesterday I was heading northbound on US-1 and approaching some known K-band band territory. I was about to crest a slight hill and got a blip of k-band and as I topped the hill I immediately saw the source of the k-band alert which was a Franklinton, NC LEO also running northbound hauling a$$ to grab his victim. The alert started ramping up and maintained an alert strength of 4-5....He eventually got out of sight from me and the alert ended.

This is a 4-lane divided highway and is wide open so when I first saw the LEO, I was able to get a good landmark fix on his location compared to mine. I glanced at the odometer and once I reached the location where I initially saw him, I had clicked off approximately 0.5 miles. Folks the Pro78 was alerting to forward facing k-band from at least 1/2 mile!! I was impressed.

So I knew that if he pulled the victim over, I would have another run or two at him if he kept the radar running.

He had pulled the vehicle and I approached from behind and when I got approximately .2 miles away I picked up his signal, which certainly didn't match the performance I had just seen.

So I drive further North and turn around to come back towards his radar. On this approach facing his radar, I received the alert at about .3 miles.

So I began scratching my head wondering why the range seems to be reduced. The only explanation I could think of is that he was pulled right up on the bumper of the car he pulled and possibly the victims car was blocking the signal. Oh and his car was positioned straight, and not angled like you see most LEO's position their cars when pulled over, so I don't think his parked angle had anything to do with it.

So would the vehicle he was behind reduce his radar signal that much?

Lead Foot

MEM-TEK it is amazing to think of all the crap cars are made of! :wink:

I was thinking his radar might zap right through the windows of the car he had pulled over, but that is a big assumption. I guess it depends on the way his gun is set up and what angle (horizontal and vertical) it is pointing.

Thanks for the reply!

Advanced Member

Hey Dave, I think that in addition to the overall width of Rt 1 up there may have attributed to the reduction in range.
    <<--- Valentine One v3.861 --->>
    Protecting a Hemi Challenger
    Saves = 200+ -- Pharmacies Detected=9733

Lead Foot

John that's a good point!

Action has been slow in the area lately...and gas is too expensive to go looking for it!!! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by dmo1028
    John that's a good point!

Action has been slow in the area lately...and gas is too expensive to go looking for it!!! :wink:
    haha, same boat I'm in, and I live in the middle of the country!
    It's super rare to find anything around here unless it's the end of the month or a holiday.

I'd go into my story of my KA encounter, but this is the whistler forum (I changed from a pro-58 to an rx65 that I found a good deal on).

But, I can say that I'm happy to find out what Mason County in KY uses -- KA 34.7 and K-band. Mostly constant-on encounters so far.