Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Question: SR off

Just a curious question: Does SR OFF cause Safety Radar to be read as K-band, or completely filters out safety radar?

I've heard of at least one state where a multi-mile stretch of highway was blanketed by a SR "Speed Is Enforced" alert. That's gotta be annoying! It'd make more sense if SR OFF would cause the detector to stop alerting once it determines a K-band signal is safety radar.

Manufacturer

Safety warning System and Safety Alert System transmit K band radar and as such the radar detector will alert K band.

SR ON only allows the individualized message to appear on the screen. SR OFF will default to K band reporting and not give you the individualized message.

Power User

Thanks for the answer, Mike.

How do others feel about this? Personally I think SR OFF should cause the detector to not respond to safety radar. On the bright side, the alert priority system means we don't lose detection of police signals while a SR warning is in effect.

Lead Foot

Knowing this info, it may be better to run with it on just in case the planets are lined up correctly and we do encounter SWS on the highways...at least we would know it is only SWS by seeing the message instead of receiving the k-band alert alone and wondering where the po-po is!!

Founder of Stealthvation

Si SWS on does not effect performance?
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Si SWS on does not effect performance?
    That's what I am reading...

Power User

Apparently so; and SR off seems to only cause otherwise-SR alerts to be read as K-band, which is worse off than just keeping SR ON, because with SR ON, non-SR K-band or any other band would preempt a SR alert.

Is that a correct interpretation, Mike B?

Manufacturer

SR and SWS is K band. The unit will respond K band until the information is received. Once the information is received, the tone will also change.

If SWS OFF the unit will respond to SWS like this.

Beep Beep Beep "K Band Beep" Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep beep Beep Beep

Of SWS On the unit may respond to SWS like this.

Beep Beep Beep "K Band" Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep "CAUTION" Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap "SPECIFIC MESSAGE" Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap

Speed Demon

I just turned mine back on. I mean it can't hurt I guess.

Power User

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, then, IMO it's more beneficial to leave SR on instead of turning it off.

I assume in the past our recommendations for turning it off was an assumption that it improved performance, but this does not seem to be the case. SR is just a special form of K-band processing invoked during a K-band alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    SR and SWS is K band. The unit will respond K band until the information is received. Once the information is received, the tone will also change.

If SWS OFF the unit will respond to SWS like this.

Beep Beep Beep "K Band Beep" Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep beep Beep Beep

Of SWS On the unit may respond to SWS like this.

Beep Beep Beep "K Band" Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep "CAUTION" Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap "SPECIFIC MESSAGE" Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap Brap