Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power User

Default Going to place a XTR-690 order soon.

I just remembered that I have a sizeable amazon gift certificate about to expire, so I need to spend it. My choices of what to buy were either good tactical LED flashlight(s) or a Whistler, and.... well.... the flashlight will FREAKING HAVE TO WAIT :P

The past few days have been a tough emotional experience as I have constantly pondered XTR-690 or Pro-78. Ok, ok, fine, I'm exaggerating.

At this point, I am still leaning XTR-690, because:

1. It is noticeably less expensive
    2. It has a compass
    3. It has a voltage meter

As far as the screen, I don't think I will mind the glare all that much -- my vehicles all have some degree of rear tinting, and audio alerts and the periscope are there anyway. Furthermore, only a few have stated that the glare is absolutely unbearable, etc.

If anyone thinks I'm making a huge mistake and really should go Pro-78, please protest. I'm either going to buy the XTR-690 or Pro-78 by the end of tomorrow -- that's for SURE.

P.S. On an unrelated note, anyone have good suggestions for powering on it without an automobile? I can always hook it up to one of the DC variable voltage power supplies in great abundance at the MIT media lab.

Any feasible/inexpensive battery pack hack for walking around? (haha, no, just kidding on that one.)

Experienced

I have tried both the 690 and the 78. There's no way I would ever consider going back to the 690. I think the super sexy display and the autodim feature outweighs the compass and battery voltage meter. Besides...the 78 just looks so much sexier...

Founder of Stealthvation

You can not go wrong with either one.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

I just purchased a Xtr-690 from amazon and im getting in about 2 days. I would say good choice from all the reviews on this site.

thats what made me choose the 690.
    cheap RD for the performance too

Stealthcb

If you're not worried about the glare, then the 690 should be great for you. I hope your experience with it is as positive as mine has been. I have to send mine to Mike for updates tomorrow, and I am DREADING going back to the 73 for a short time. That's how much better the 78 really is.

Power User

Whoa! are the updates available now? What did Mike say was the turnaround time for updates?

Grr can I just freakin ship my detector from amazon TO Mike and have him ship the thing to me?

It's kinda silly to be duplicating so much shipping, lol

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Whoa! are the updates available now? What did Mike say was the turnaround time for updates?

Grr can I just freakin ship my detector from amazon TO Mike and have him ship the thing to me?

It's kinda silly to be duplicating so much shipping, lol
    The update is only in Beta right now, but should be out permanently next week, I think. I'm just sending mine off early because it's a REALLY old version of the 78, and because I have the $$ to mail it right now. Give it another week, and God knows what I'll blow the money on.

Newcomer

Is the update going to cost money or are you referring to the shipping costs?

Speed Demon

I believe hes just refering to the shipping costs.

That would make me sad if the updates cost money.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by rks
    Is the update going to cost money or are you referring to the shipping costs?
    No, the update is free, but I absolutely abhor shipping costs -- it's quite significant particularly when you ship something out yourself!