Power User

Default Hmm.. possible issues with my XTR-690?

I just had a chance to test my XTR-690 for the first time, and I think I might have an out-of-tune unit or something. In a shopping mall, I can't get a K-band alert higher than 4/9, though I think the detection range is similar to my 1793 (as expected)...

I picked up a Ka-band speed sign from a block and a half away over a hill (which impressed me), but likewise, I could not get a ramp up above 3 or 4, even when I stopped right in front of the sign and pointed my detector at it directly.

Mike, should I send in this unit for you to look at?

Stealthcb

Hmmm. That does sound like a cal issue, at least to me. Did you try running the 1793 against the same targets close to the same time?

I get friggin 9-bar alerts at the local shopping center door openers.

Professional

depends on the signal strength. 690 indicates the strength of the signal not how close u are. obviously the closer u get the higher the number but it doesnt have to be 9/9 if signal is not on full strength.

Manufacturer

Please send it to me and I will check it out.

It should go to a 9 as long as the signal strength is stong enoug to do so.

Power User

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that these signals that I'm testing on should produce full-strength alerts (they make both my Cobra 9300 and 1793SE go ballistic)

I was able to produce some full-strength alerts by holding my XTR-690 right up against my 1793SE and hitting a button on the 1793.

I'll definitely want Mike to take a look at this for me, but since I only have a few days home with the detector, I'll play around with it a bit first.

Power User

Oh yeah, just some other random first impression notes:

(1) The screen: Yeah, I know what you guys mean about the screen -- during the bright daylight it is difficult to see. However, it seems to primarily be due to glare/reflection off the surface of the lens. I'm going to play with some antireflective materials, or wait for the new lenses, etc, but personally the screen doesn't bug me much...

(2) The speaker is much much improved from the 1793. The voice is very clear, and the alert tones don't distort on higher volumes.

(3) The LED alert lights are AWESOME. It definitely makes City mode a lot more logical, and comes in handy when I need minimal noise level in my car.