Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default XTR-690: POP ON = a LOT of falsing?

I went for a 2 hour drive (and infuriatingly didn't find a SINGLE cop in their favorite speed traps. Even parked and hovered around two PD HQ's for nearly 30 minutes, before starting to get funny looks from building security)

I tried POP ON a bit, and I noticed that it falses a LOT. I will get a Ka POP 9 or Ka POP 5 alert like no less than once every 30 seconds.

Is this normal for POP to false so much? I never recalled the 1793SE doing this.

Stealthcb

Default Re: XTR-690: POP ON = a LOT of falsing?

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I tried POP ON a bit, and I noticed that it falses a LOT. I will get a Ka POP 9 or Ka POP 5 alert like no less than once every 30 seconds.

Is this normal for POP to false so much? I never recalled the 1793SE doing this.
    That's my experience with my Pro-78 as well. I turned POP on twice this week, in hopes of running across those two POP-shooting Motorcylce LEOs, and both times turned it off after 5 minutes because of falsing.

Professional

pop kills the joy of running a mostly quiet whistler.

Manufacturer

Try it in your driveway first for 10 minutes.

If there are no falses, then your Ka POP encounters are with other radar sources, (radar detectors).

Power User

Hmm, you're right -- there are no falses unless I'm on the road. I guess there is that much radar noise out there.

Hmm, can a future SW update reduce the severity of POP's audio tone? I think that'd be a great compromise. Maybe a City Mode type double-beep then voice, or some other way of distinguishing POP alerts without looking at the screen.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Hmm, you're right -- there are no falses unless I'm on the road. I guess there is that much radar noise out there.

Hmm, can a future SW update reduce the severity of POP's audio tone? I think that'd be a great compromise. Maybe a City Mode type double-beep then voice, or some other way of distinguishing POP alerts without looking at the screen.
    Same thing. Nothing when I just sit still.

IMHO, that kind of reduces the effectiveness of a POP alert, when it's going off every thirty seconds or so.

Manufacturer

I run with POP ON but I do not have the same issues you mentioned. I may get 1 or 2 false POP alerts in a week of driving. I guess there are a lot more of the (certain offending radar detectors) in your neck of the woods.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    I run with POP ON but I do not have the same issues you mentioned. I may get 1 or 2 false POP alerts in a week of driving. I guess there are a lot more of the (certain offending radar detectors) in your neck of the woods.
    I think you're right. That particular brand is ALL that the high school students buy around here... they think it's fashionable and fancy.

So, the detector brand we've come to know and hate also causes Ka POP falses?

Manufacturer

Sure can!

Good Citizen

Sounds like POP mode is an excellent Crapra detector...