Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default What are the best settings for the Whistler Pro78?

I just got in my Whistler Pro78 today, and was wondering what might be the best settings for this detector. According to the Veil Guy in his report of this unit, he found it best if with the POP OFF - SWS OFF, and no additional filter modes enabled—just the FILTER display. I live in south Louisiana and I am not that sure of Radar/Laser detections being used in this parts.

Thank you in advance for in help given.

Whistler Man

Professional

filter 2 really cuts down on falses by 90% as per my experience. pop off is a must to avoid falses. check speed trap info to see what bands are being used at lA. i keep x off at my location. i use highway mode all the time.

Speed Demon

Yep those sound good, drive around for awhile and if you get to many K or KA blips randomly from other radar detectors move it up to Filter 1.

Newcomer

definitely agree on Filter 2...which cuts on the falses by a wide margin.

Power User

POP OFF, FILTER 2, SWS ON.

Stealthcb

I vary my settings a bit, but I generally run:

POP Off
    Voice On
    SWS On (it doesn't affect filtering OR sensitivity)
    Btry Saver On
    Autodim On
    Autoquiet On
    Tone 3
    LED Flash (need to change this to OFF)

Where I vary it is what mode I'm running. MOST of the time, i run in City2 mode. No X-band threat in my daily, around-town driving. If, however, I hit the highway, I go to HIGHWAY mode. If my wife is in the car, I go to CITY mode, so the RD beeps only once for all alerts.

Power User

pfft LED flash is a lot more fun ;-)

I've toyed trying to hook up some Luxeon K2's in there... but then decided that a flickering 80 lumen LED might be a safety hazard ;-)

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    pfft LED flash is a lot more fun ;-)

I've toyed trying to hook up some Luxeon K2's in there... but then decided that a flickering 80 lumen LED might be a safety hazard ;-)
    LOL. Well, since I'm hiding my RD behind the tint strip, flashing LEDs might be counterproductive.

Newcomer

Ok guys, I made a 90 mile trip yesterday from Slidell, La. to Baton Rouge La. with my just arrived Whistler Pro78. As suggested by a few of you my settings were the following:

POP OFF

FILTER 2

SWS OFF

On the way it did to seem work good picking up a couple of Leo's driving towards me on I-12 from a pretty good distance. Also, it picked up the Radar Signs on the side of I-12 in Baton Rouge, that shows the speed of the people driving by the signs from a very long distance away. I was very please with that. However, I do believe I was getting some false readings when I passed up people who had Radar Detectors in their cars too.

There were a couple of encounters I would like your opinion on that happen to me.

First encounter: When I first got into Baton Rouge there were 2 Leo's parked on the side of I-12 (1 of which had a car parked on the side the road giving them a ticket) and the other Leo was out of his car with a Gun in his hand walking and pointing at the on coming cars in which I was one of them. The speed limit on that part of I-12 was 60 so I was not there for very long. If he was standing out on the highway I would think he was using POP or Lasar.

Question 1) My Pro78 did not go off at all, so can you explain why?
    My thinking on this is that maybe he was using POP, and maybe he did not have the trigger pushed at the time I was passing him. BTW, my Laser setting was turned to the ON position so I would not think it was a Laser gun.

Question 2) If he was using POP would my detector not detect his gun, since I had it in the POP OFF position?

The second encounter was: When finally driving home on Hwy 41 in Pearl River La. I reached up and changed my X band from ON and switched it OFF, just to see if it would beep when I passed this service station to see if the Automatic door was a X band, but it still beeped and it was K band. Also, sometimes it does not beep at all when the store is closed at night, so am I picking up a automatic door opener or possibly a Alarm system.
    Question 3) What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information given.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerMan
    First encounter: When I first got into Baton Rouge there were 2 Leo's parked on the side of I-12 (1 of which had a car parked on the side the road giving them a ticket) and the other Leo was out of his car with a Gun in his hand walking and pointing at the on coming cars in which I was one of them. The speed limit on that part of I-12 was 60 so I was not there for very long. If he was standing out on the highway I would think he was using POP or Lasar.

Question 1) My Pro78 did not go off at all, so can you explain why?
    My thinking on this is that maybe he was using POP, and maybe he did not have the trigger pushed at the time I was passing him. BTW, my Laser setting was turned to the ON position so I would not think it was a Laser gun.
    More than likely he was using LIDAR (laser). It is extremely difficult to detect laser when you're close because the beam is so narrow that it doesn't reflect up to the sensor in your RD. If you were close enough to see he wasn't squeezing the trigger, it was way too close to detect LIDAR without a jammer.

Question 2) If he was using POP would my detector not detect his gun, since I had it in the POP OFF position?
    Your RD would have given you a brief K-band alert, but no POP warning. In other words, it would treat the signal like a normal k-band signal. I have confirmed this with my Pro-78.

The second encounter was: When finally driving home on Hwy 41 in Pearl River La. I reached up and changed my X band from ON and switched it OFF, just to see if it would beep when I passed this service station to see if the Automatic door was a X band, but it still beeped and it was K band. Also, sometimes it does not beep at all when the store is closed at night, so am I picking up a automatic door opener or possibly a Alarm system.
    Question 3) What do you think about this?
    That part's easy. The Pro-78 detects K and X on the same sweep, and this sometimes results in some confusion of the two bands, so sometimes with the X-band off, the RD will incorrectly ID an X-band signal as K-band. Also, it is possible there are two signals there: a strong X-band and a weak K-band. In that case, with X on, your Pro-78 will alert to X-band first because it is the stronger signal. With X-off, it would alert only to the K-band signal.