Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What makes other detectors "better"?

I always wondered in the world of reverse engineering why do some of the big boys out perform Whistler? is it patent rights? I know Valentine has a patent on dual antenna's but that alone cant make it a better at detecting laser.

Is it code? might make sense since we have seen improvements on the 78/690 platform by writing new firmware.

Anyone care to chime in?

Belscort holds the vast majority of radar detector electronics patents, followed by Valentine and then by Whistler. Yet Whistler has one new and unique patent which potentially could give them an edge in sniffing out weak radar signals or POP radar. Its one thing to dream up a new signal processing method and get a patent filed right away, yet its another thing to take the idea, produce a physical example, and then work out any bugs. I think that Whistler's patent is one of the most significant radar detector design patents which has been granted during the past few years.

Keep in mind that the Whister 690/Pro 78 platform is relatively new, and that it took Bel a few years to really tweak out the performance of their Vector series radar detectors. Belscort, Valentine, and Whistler all have headaches trying to get maximum Ka sensitivity while battling false alerts from Cobra radar detectors.

It is rumored (supposedly direct from Michael B of Whistler) that fairly soon there will be a major firmware upgrade for the 690/Pro 78 platform which is supposed to boost the Ka performance. X and K performance is already very good, so just a 3dBm gain in Ka sensitivity (doubling the Ka sensitivity) would put the 690/Pro 78 HSXWH20 platform well within the performance window of Bel's current Vector series of radar detectors and the 8500 X50. I think that the new firmware should be available around November if memory serves me correctly?

Good Citizen

I knew Whistler was coming out with a new Rev for the 78/690, but for example why does the V1 have superior laser detection? is it optics? It beats every detector hands down. But then again on the flip side if you get a laser alert and you are speeding without a jammer...GAME OVER anyways.

Speed Demon

i can tell you from personnal experience that the 78 with the new revision (C) will still not be up to par with the Bels. especially on K and X.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeo
    I knew Whistler was coming out with a new Rev for the 78/690, but for example why does the V1 have superior laser detection? is it optics? It beats every detector hands down. But then again on the flip side if you get a laser alert and you are speeding without a jammer...GAME OVER anyways.
    Yes, for the V1 its optics.

For front laser detection, the current V1 model uses a condensing lens in front of their front laser IR detector. This gives the V1 its exceptionally high laser sensitivity within a roughly 30 degree wide forward cone, and good laser sensitivity further off-axis. The STi uses two forward facing IR detectors plus two additional IR detectors pointed roughly 40 degrees to either side of straight ahead. Almost all other radar detectors use a single forward facing IR detector.

For rear laser detection, the current V1 uses a separate rear facing IR detector. I can't remember it the V1's rear IR detector also has a condensing lens in front of it or not. Almost all other radar detectors use an optical light pipe to pipe laser from the rear to a separate IR detector.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDawg19
    i can tell you from personnal experience that the 78 with the new revision (C) will still not be up to par with the Bels. especially on K and X.
    If it's close on Ka band, that will be good enough for me.

Speed Demon

its been about half. sometimes slightly less - even more so if it is off axis any at all.

Founder of Stealthvation

Pro 78 is good for its market
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    Pro 78 is good for its market
    X2. It has decent performance, lots of features, a 3 year warranty, a very loud speaker, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Founder of Stealthvation

I mean $120 vs $400-$450 hmmmmmm
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!