Thread: Pro 78 antenna

Good Citizen

Default Pro 78 antenna

Just thought of this and wanted to get some input on it.

I was on the highway about two weeks ago when my detector started ramping up on KA (started at about 3 and worked up to 9), I saw no officer around. But then about 5 seconds later, a sheriff came blowing by from behind me (after someone else I guess). My question (which may sound elementary but remember this is somewhat new to me) is how did my detector "see" him coming from behind me if the antenna is in the front?
    Could it have been that the radar he was emitting was reflecting off cars in front of me and my detector was getting that?

Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Pro 78 antenna

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmman89
    Just thought of this and wanted to get some input on it.

I was on the highway about two weeks ago when my detector started ramping up on KA (started at about 3 and worked up to 9), I saw no officer around. But then about 5 seconds later, a sheriff came blowing by from behind me (after someone else I guess). My question (which may sound elementary but remember this is somewhat new to me) is how did my detector "see" him coming from behind me if the antenna is in the front?
    Could it have been that the radar he was emitting was reflecting off cars in front of me and my detector was getting that?

Thanks!
    With modern detectors, it would have to be blind not to see a signal coming from the rear. This is perfectly normal for a detector like the Pro 78. Im sure there are reflections involved, but it also passes through your car somewhat I am guessing setting off the detector.

Experienced

yes, the detector was receiving signal since the signal was bouncing off the cars in front of you. Since it is not a direct hit, the range it will be able to pick up from the back will be much much less.

Power User

Signals received from the rear would be due to reflections off objects in front of you that make it back into the radar horn.