Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XTR-690 issues

Newcomer

Default XTR-690 issues

I've had this XTR-690 since it came out and it has never worked right. Somedays it will stay quiet but usually it falses for KA pulse and POP with signal strength 9.

I thought the model was just a piece of junk until I came on here and found everyone raving about it so now I'm looking for suggestions.

I already sent it in to whistler once and they said they updated the firmware and replaced the lense. Unfortunately its still doing the same exact thing as before. Also the falses seem to be non-stop when its cloudy/raining.

Do you think this is a power related issue? Ground noise? Or an over abundance of crappy cobra radar detectors following me around town? I just replaced spark plugs and wires on my car so I don't think its the wires arcing. I might send it back in but I don't think there is much they can do except maybe replace it which they seemed reluctant to do.

I'm tired of driving around with out protection; a few months ago it put me in jail ops:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: XTR-690 issues

Quote Originally Posted by iatpm
    I've had this XTR-690 since it came out and it has never worked right. Somedays it will stay quiet but usually it falses for KA pulse and POP with signal strength 9.

I thought the model was just a piece of junk until I came on here and found everyone raving about it so now I'm looking for suggestions.

I already sent it in to whistler once and they said they updated the firmware and replaced the lense. Unfortunately its still doing the same exact thing as before. Also the falses seem to be non-stop when its cloudy/raining.

Do you think this is a power related issue? Ground noise? Or an over abundance of crappy cobra radar detectors following me around town? I just replaced spark plugs and wires on my car so I don't think its the wires arcing. I might send it back in but I don't think there is much they can do expect maybe replace it which they seemed reluctant to do.

I'm tired of driving around with out protection a few months ago it put me in jail ops:
    Hm.... When you disable POP do you still get falses? Also, what filter mode are you running it on? Just know for one thing you are in good hands with whistler customer support. Im sure Michael B (Whistler Engineer who posts on this forum) will drop by and try to help.

Newcomer

When I disable pop the problem just changes to KA alerts instead of KA pop. I have tried every filter mode but right now its on low X (city 2).

Professional

send it to mike b, i am sure he will fix it and upgrade to you to rev c for 20 bucks or little bit more for any hardware probs. PM him.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by iatpm
    When I disable pop the problem just changes to KA alerts instead of KA pop. I have tried every filter mode but right now its on low X (city 2).
    City mode two is No X, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
    Have you ever been able to visually identify falses? Like after a false look around and see a cobra? Also, some trucks apparently have a anti collision system that runs on Ka radar, which could explain your falses...

Newcomer

Sorry I wrote the wrong filter, but like I said I have tried all of them.

I haven't been able to confirm any falses. They honestly occur so much that I doubt they are other radar detectors or something similar. If I plug it in on the way home today I bet it goes off 50% of the ride home.

I probably will send it to Mike B like you suggested.

Professional

Whistler's customer service is great. I am sure you will be pleased

Experienced

if the device powers on properly then it wont be a power issue... definitely give mike a shout

Newcomer

I didn't know about the filter settings - I put it on filter 1 on the way home and so far it was way better. I'll update if it starts freaking out again. The FAQ that jdong wrote is a good read

Also thanks oven cleaner for mentioning that in the first post 8)

Professional

ur better off filter 2, lot quiter with no affect on range or detection.... may be a milli sec diff.