Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ok stupid question (or should I say first stupid question) of the day... what's auto quiet? it blips once and stops but keeps flashing or something?

I should have the RD today as per ups website info, so I'll have a couple days to fart around with it before its trial by fire.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Racer_James
    ok stupid question (or should I say first stupid question) of the day... what's auto quiet? it blips once and stops but keeps flashing or something?

I should have the RD today as per ups website info, so I'll have a couple days to fart around with it before its trial by fire.

After the first 3 loud beeps of an alert, it changes the volume to one for the rest of the alert, and if the same alert comes back, it stays on 1 for about 20 seconds.

I run Volume 8 with autoquiet.

Well I look forward to trying it out. I'm sure the technology improved. You guys speak highly of its effective range and filtering, whereas the old bel I bought in 92 (I forgot the model number), was garbage... went off for everything.

So why are all RD's so damn big now? Its like the difference of Hi-8 tape vs VHS in scale. That old bell was about 2 wide, by 3 long, and .5 thick, now they are like bricks.

James

Power User

I think Neveda runs Pop or has state contracts with MpH radar. I wouldn't turn x off either. Some really run down towns still run x band in there cruisers everywhere. I got blasted with x in New Mexico

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner

After the first 3 loud beeps of an alert, it changes the volume to one for the rest of the alert, and if the same alert comes back, it stays on 1 for about 20 seconds.

Ovencleaner you run your 78 at volume 8? Holy crap mine is on 1 and it makes me jump out of my seat!!!! I must have some sensitive ears...or I don't drive with the windows down enough-

Good Citizen

[/quote]

Ovencleaner you run your 78 at volume 8? Holy crap mine is on 1 and it makes me jump out of my seat!!!! I must have some sensitive ears...or I don't drive with the windows down enough- [/quote]

Same here, mine is always at 1 unless sometime I have it on 2 when the radio is up.

Well I just hard wired it in, and while testing it I immediately set the volume to 1... its definitely loud. With my car's small rear window the only way I could get line of site from rearward is to put it right in the center of my windshield, and with the wipers up high I can't put it low, and with my mirror high, I can't put it above that, so its at the lower left of the windshield unfortunately. I haven't tried it out yet due to a storm moving through so I look forward to my drive to work tomorrow.

Do you turn off the SWS (or what ever the acronym is... that "caution, road construction ahead" setting) or do you leave it on? Curious if it affects performance like POP.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I'll let you know how it fairs on the trip.

James

Experienced

I run mine on 8 too because I usually have windows down and music blasting. Might sound crazy but when I have the top down I actually wished there was more volume.

Also about auto quiet. I liked it better the way my xtr-550 would do it. The first 4 seconds (or something like that) were a regular volume alert. Then it turned into very short little chirps (no matter the band, they would all turn into this chirp sound). For some reasons it was just more pleasant.

Mike B states that SWS does NOT affect performance.

Lead Foot

Turn SWS off- It doesn't hurt performance with it on, but with it turned off your detector may alert about 1/2 second sooner since it doesn't have to check the received signal to see if it is the SWS signal...I think that's how Mike B explained it not too long ago and he did a much better job than I just did!!

Speed Demon

Well I just hard wired it in, and while testing it I immediately set the volume to 1... its definitely loud. With my car's small rear window the only way I could get line of site from rearward is to put it right in the center of my windshield, and with the wipers up high I can't put it low, and with my mirror high, I can't put it above that, so its at the lower left of the windshield unfortunately. I haven't tried it out yet due to a storm moving through so I look forward to my drive to work tomorrow.

Do you turn off the SWS (or what ever the acronym is... that "caution, road construction ahead" setting) or do you leave it on? Curious if it affects performance like POP.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I'll let you know how it fairs on the trip.

James
    Just make sure its pointing straight down the road, and completely level! Good luck on the trip!