Thread: Q for Mike B

Power User

Default Q for Mike B

I understand that there are few new models coming. I am curious about the signature id feature that I am unclear about.

Does this show the actual freq. or just the gun that is close to that Freq?

Also, is it only for Ka and Laser?

Lead Foot

focalcivic here is a quote from Mike B from another thread where he addresses that question- The ID feature is only for Ka and Laser. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    The 695 does not display the nearest gun that is closest to the received signal.

It reports the nominal frequency of each gun if the detected signal is in the predetermined area where these guns are expected to be received.

The 695 is just doing the work that you would normaly do.

If you see 35.410 or 35.590 you have to think is it close enough to 35.5 to be concerned.

If you see 35.3 or 35.8 you would probably say it was a false alert due to another radar detector..

The 695 will treat it the same way as your brain.

35.420 and 35.590 will simply say 35.5 and give you the signal strength.

35.3 or 35.8 will just report as Ka and give you the signal strength.

Lets not forget that some users will be new to radar detectors and do not have the knowledge that many of you already have from driving with detectors over the years.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by dmo1028
    focalcivic here is a quote from Mike B from another thread where he addresses that question- The ID feature is only for Ka and Laser. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B
    The 695 does not display the nearest gun that is closest to the received signal.

It reports the nominal frequency of each gun if the detected signal is in the predetermined area where these guns are expected to be received.

The 695 is just doing the work that you would normaly do.

If you see 35.410 or 35.590 you have to think is it close enough to 35.5 to be concerned.

If you see 35.3 or 35.8 you would probably say it was a false alert due to another radar detector..

The 695 will treat it the same way as your brain.

35.420 and 35.590 will simply say 35.5 and give you the signal strength.

35.3 or 35.8 will just report as Ka and give you the signal strength.

Lets not forget that some users will be new to radar detectors and do not have the knowledge that many of you already have from driving with detectors over the years.
    the thing I am confused about is what shows up on the display?

Lead Foot

From what it says, the actual display will show either 35.5, 34.7 or 33.8. If a ka frequency is picked up but no where near those numbers, it will just display Ka, not the frequency

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    From what it says, the actual display will show either 35.5, 34.7 or 33.8. If a ka frequency is picked up but no where near those numbers, it will just display Ka, not the frequency
    Yeah, this is how I am reading it too.

Basically it appears to be another attempt to try and help RD users determine whether a Ka alert is a real LEO, or just a junk detector. Its defiantly a step in the right direction...

I would love to use Whistler units for a change of pace, my only complaint is they need to start using the RJ-11 connections like all the other high-end units do.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore

Basically it appears to be another attempt to try and help RD users determine whether a Ka alert is a real LEO, or just a junk detector. Its defiantly a step in the right direction...

I would love to use Whistler units for a change of pace, my only complaints it they need to start using the RJ-11 connections like all the other high-end units do.
    I agree. An RJ11 connector would make it very easy to swap between my detectors. I'm thinking maybe Belscort has a patent on that too.

I think that this idea will be a godsend for those who live near military air bases which happen to produce widespread Ka band falses.

Professional

I would love to use Whistler units for a change of pace, my only complaints it they need to start using the RJ-11 connections like all the other high-end units do.
    I agree. An RJ11 connector would make it very easy to swap between my detectors. I'm thinking maybe Belscort has a patent on that too.
    I don't think they have a patent on the connector because the V1 uses the same one.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9

I don't think they have a patent on the connector because the V1 uses the same one.
    x2 both VR and Belscort use it.

That is why I am saying if Whistler is trying to break into the high-end portion of detectors, but with a budget in mind, they should incorporate some of the simple ideas (RJ-11 connectors) into their units. Yeah its good not to follow the leader, but in this case, its the sole reason I have not bought a Whistler to experiment with.

***I do own a Whistler actually... but my brother uses it simply because it was a low-end model of theirs from years ago, so I gave it to him just as a 'reminder' (he is older and speeds much less now).