Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default My hardwired Pro 78

So i decided to hardwire my Pro 78 to my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am:

I used the kit that came with the radar detector and also bought a fuse tap from Autozone. You basically remove your existing fuse (10 Amp for me as I used the Interior Lamps Fuse) and put this adapter in. Then there are two slots for two fuses. One of the slot is for the original fuse that was in there b4 (the 10 amp) and the other is for the other accessory that it will be going to.

I used a spare 2 Amp fuse that came with the car for that slot, even tho the Pro 78 Hardwire Kit is already fused, the adapter still needed another fuse to operate.

In the Picture, it looks like the original fuse don't fit the new slots. Your right. I think you have to buy small fuses so they fit in all the way. I was still able to use the original fuses even though they don't go in all the way. They are in the slots pretty securely and are not likely to fall out.

I ran the wire from the Fuse box through the weather stripping on the passenger side, and to the Radar Detector. All in All, I think I did a pretty safe install, despite the fuses not fitting properly. The worst that could happen is they touch and I have to go spend a few buck to replace them.

The Fuse tap cost me $7.

Here are some Picture I took during Install (High-Res Warning for Dial-Up Users!):

Fuse to Tap off of (10 Amp Interior Lights Fuse): [replacer_a]

Fuses Installed with Adapter In Place:

Ground Bolt (Also better Pic of Fuses):

FINAL Install Pictures:

ENJOY!

Last edited by linkinpark9812; 06-10-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Nice... gotta love the fuse tap... I mounted mine out of sight (Visor clip mount) from LEO's and thieves, but it probably does not have good laser detection where I mounted it...

Great detector too, what made you decide to buy it?

Good Citizen

The many good Reviews on how it is one of the best detectors for under $200.

The final straws that made me buy it was when I saw Radar Roy's Video Review on Youtube and MEM-TEK's awesome review!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by linkinpark9812 View Post
    The many good Reviews on how it is one of the best detectors for under $200.

The final straws that made me buy it was when I saw Radar Roy's Video Review on Youtube and MEM-TEK's awesome review!
    I see you used to own a Cobra... notice any difference

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ovencleaner View Post
    I see you used to own a Cobra... notice any difference
    just a little! (Little as in a HUGE difference)

Ya, I kinda bought it out of the blue. i knew it wasn't the best brand, but after i bought it, and read reviews, I saw that they weren't just an off brand, but just a horrible brand!

So i took it back within like 6 or 7 days, saved up a little extra and got a Pro 78 on Saturday!

Can't wait to test it some more, and maybe I will be able to get some video of it in action. I live in a City/Town area, so a lot of congestion. There is a great place to test it where they stick the YOUR SPEED sign and it is on some major curves.

SO far no problems with it!

btw, I had a ?, I am not sure if the LEOs out here use POP, most use Ka out here, but does enabling POP REDUCE range or just make it prone to more false alarms? I have had POP on and not had too many false alarms even around many businesses. I just wanted to kno if ANY of the options, (POP, the Safety Warning System, etc.) Reduces range

Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

just a little! (Little as in a HUGE difference)

Ya, I kinda bought it out of the blue. i knew it wasn't the best brand, but after i bought it, and read reviews, I saw that they weren't just an off brand, but just a horrible brand!

So i took it back within like 6 or 7 days, saved up a little extra and got a Pro 78 on Saturday!

Can't wait to test it some more, and maybe I will be able to get some video of it in action. I live in a City/Town area, so a lot of congestion. There is a great place to test it where they stick the YOUR SPEED sign and it is on some major curves.

SO far no problems with it!

btw, I had a ?, I am not sure if the LEOs out here use POP, most use Ka out here, but does enabling POP REDUCE range or just make it prone to more false alarms? I have had POP on and not had too many false alarms even around many businesses. I just wanted to kno if ANY of the options, (POP, the Safety Warning System, etc.) Reduces range

Thanks!
    Check this thread to see if anyone has reported POP in your area:
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...5-23-08-a.html

Dallas Texas is the only city I have heard to use POP.

POP reduces sensativity on the Pro 78 and can cause falses. Disable it.

SWS makes K band alerts happen one second later, and is not used anywhere almost.... disable it.

Filter mode 2 for no Ka falses EVER.

Good Citizen

Would u say to make the Radar MOST sensitive (even if prone to False Alerts), would be POP OFF, SR (SWS) OFF, just FILTER mode, and HIGHWAY?

I basically want to get the most range even if it means a few falses, just for now while I test it as much as i can.

I have had it like that most of the times and have a had a few falses, but usually K. I DID run into a REAL X Band. it looks like a speed radar on a bad intersection in Highland, Indiana. I am not sure if it has cameras or just sees if people speed through the intersection or go on red. It must be pretty old. I have noticed it b4 I had a Radar Detector and it is pretty small. i was surprised to get a real X Band hit tho.

Radar Fanatic

Would u say to make the Radar MOST sensitive (even if prone to False Alerts), would be POP OFF, SR (SWS) OFF, just FILTER mode, and HIGHWAY?

I basically want to get the most range even if it means a few falses, just for now while I test it as much as i can.

I have had it like that most of the times and have a had a few falses, but usually K. I DID run into a REAL X Band. it looks like a speed radar on a bad intersection in Highland, Indiana. I am not sure if it has cameras or just sees if people speed through the intersection or go on red. It must be pretty old. I have noticed it b4 I had a Radar Detector and it is pretty small. i was surprised to get a real X Band hit tho.
    Filter 2 does not reduce sensativity in any noticeable way. Your detector will annoy you less because it can differentiate Cobra's and Unidens from real police radar better with Filter 2.

I have had CRAZY IO saves with Filter 2...

Good Citizen

Alright, so your saying I should have my options like this for now, unless i get more false alerts.

FILTER 2
    SR OFF
    POP OFF

and in Highway Mode.

This would give it the best range without many false alerts. Is that what you are saying?

Radar Fanatic

Alright, so your saying I should have my options like this for now, unless i get more false alerts.

FILTER 2
    SR OFF
    POP OFF

and in Highway Mode.

This would give it the best range without many false alerts. Is that what you are saying?
    Yes. Filter settings do not affect range, they filter out very short bursts of radar (Less that 200 ms on Filter 2, 100 ms for Filter 1, not sure for Filter) These short busts of radar are caused by other detectors leaking when they do sweeps for radar. They can also be POP, or confused with POP very easily.

Bel Vector series I believe have a default filter at 1000ms and can still false... don't worry about it to much... You will detect instant on radar just fine with Filter 2.
    Last edited by Ovencleaner; 06-10-2008 at 09:59 AM.