Thread: whistler 3400

Default whistler 3400

HI!
    im new to the forum and i find it to be very informative. but im thinking of getting a whistler 3400. i live in canada. all radar detetors are illegal here. what is the likelyhood of getting caught? and how reliable is it? im on a tight budget and i need something i can conceal. thanks!!!

Radar Fanatic

Against the Spectre your chances of caught are pretty high. Simply having a remote unit just doesn't cut it these days because the police don't need to see it in order to know its there. If you are really tricky you might get away with it but I don't know if it's really worth it to you. For now it's a very risky proposition.

There have been rumors for the last six months or so of an undetectable unit coming out within another six months. (It is commonly referred to as "brand-x".) Personally I would hold out until it hits the market and is proven to deliver the goods.

ok. thank you for the notice. i will look forwad to this product. i guess i just get carried away when i find a new toy. hahaha...

Advanced Member

Default Re: whistler 3400

Quote Originally Posted by hkspower
    HI!
    im new to the forum and i find it to be very informative. but im thinking of getting a whistler 3400. i live in canada. all radar detetors are illegal here. what is the likelyhood of getting caught? and how reliable is it? im on a tight budget and i need something i can conceal. thanks!!!
    If you're in Ontario...watch out :!:
    OPP have lots of Spectres as do most Regional Forces.
    In rural areas the Spectre is LETHAL......few cars on the road or at night.
    Personally I would recommend a Cordless ( easier to hide) if you're using an RD up here.
    Most Cops are still using K band, we still have some X band but.....
    there is a move to Ka.
    Of course Lidar is very popular too.
    I would stay away from a "permanently" mounted unit.
    My PNI Traveller gives ample warning on all bands....and most Cops up here run their units in "Constant On" mode......
    Welcome to The Forum and Good Luck..... :wink:

Yoda of Radar

Ontario is rumored to have around 250 Spectres in use. They are most deadly in rural situations. They are rarely used in urban environments but it has been seen (see ryee's post in Speed Trap Info).

If you turn off the unit at appropriate times (suspicious vehicles, radar alerts, stopped or driving slowly) you should be OK.

thanks a lot for your replies. this is gonna help me greatly in finding the perfect (relatively speaking) and flawless (relatively again) RD. keep up the good work on this board.